Making friendship bracelets in public
MysticalC
Advanced
MysticalC
2 years, 1 month ago by MysticalC
Has anyone ever made friendship bracelets in public? Like at a cafe or library? If you have what was your set up and what was the general reception, was everyone cool with it?
KrazyKnotz
Super Moderator
KrazyKnotz
2 years, 1 month ago by KrazyKnotz
I've actually never made bracelets in public. But I frequency undo bracelets that I've started and have decided I didn't like how it was turning out. I like to try to reuse/salvage the thread for another bracelet.

People often ask me what I'm doing, and sometimes ask if I'm crocheting. I just explain that I'm undoing a bracelet that wasn't turning out quite right. I also always carry finished/pre-packaged bracelets with me, and if the person wants, I give them a bracelet or two. Sometimes they have a couple of family members/friends that they want to give them to. 😊

I don't sell my bracelets. I prefer to give them to people as gifts/donations/random acts of kindness. 😉
mrs_jordan
Bracelet King
mrs_jordan
2 years, 1 month ago by mrs_jordan
I used to make them when I was in school a lot! I am lucky and am able to knot without securing my bracelet to a surface. I prefer to secure it, but I can just hold it in my left hand and knot with my right. I might go to a cafe now and make bracelets! If you need to secure it, I would use washi tape as it will not damage surfaces. I usually use duct tape and have ruined my desk because of it. whoops lol.
jubilee
Skiller
jubilee
2 years, 1 month ago by jubilee
@MysticalC I actually bring mine to school sometimes once i start it or memorize the pattern. it helps keep my hands busy haha! usually people and teachers are fine with it; on the occasion people might come over and say "oh i like the colors," or "thats really pretty" or ask me to make them one. happy knotting! i hope this helps. God bless
peanutsv
Bracelet King
peanutsv
2 years, 1 month ago by peanutsv
At the dentist once I did and one person there asked if I was making a bracelet and I said yea, she was a very sweet older lady, I did gift her it since I was just waiting on a friend and had enough time to finish it!
Sparrows
Bracelet King
Sparrows
2 years, 1 month ago by Sparrows
I keep in-progress bracelets on a clipboard, which makes it very portable! All you need then is a place to sit, and you can work with the clipboard in your lap. You can also cut slots into the edges of the clipboard to help with organizing your strings! As for reactions, I agree that the vast majority of people are cool with it! Some get curious and might ask you about it, and the rest will just let you be.
senor
Bracelet King
senor
2 years, 1 month ago by senor
i make them a lot of time in public, mainly at school. a lot of the time, i get people coming up and saying things like “oh wow how do u do that??” and at school recently people have been “oh can you make me a” and then suggest a something they’d want. and it’s kind of become a cycle. one time i made like 3 of the same pattern bc i would make one and then bring it and then someone else would ask for it too. one tip tho is to make sure you get paid for it because you burn out quickly when you do it for free.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
2 years, 1 month ago by halokiwi
If I knot in public, I take my clipboard with me. But I have not done it often so far, because most of my university classes have been online during the last two years. Next semester this is going to change, so I will probably knot more in public.
2006_Mandy
Bracelet King
2006_Mandy
2 years, 1 month ago by 2006_Mandy
I have brought my clipboard or a kumihimo wheel to school maybe 3-5 times this school year on days when I knew I wouldn't have much work in class. Otherwise I keep a kumihimo wheel in my purse or backpack sometimes. Usually I don't knot in public because there is no time for me to knot. If I am on vacation then yes I do bring my clipboard and knot frequently.
2006_Mandy
Bracelet King
2006_Mandy
2 years, 1 month ago by 2006_Mandy
Oh and people don't seem to be bothered by my knotting but I have had people ask me before. I just prop my clipboard on my lap and knot like I would normally.
Blueknot
Bracelet King
Blueknot
2 years, 1 month ago by Blueknot
I love knotting, but I hate when peope copliment me on my work or ask how, so I don't know why I still knot in public. But I enjoy knotting in places where the people are familliar with me knotting. I have basically a mini thread storage box that I hold between my knees whenever I knot.
MysticalC
Advanced
MysticalC
2 years ago by MysticalC
Thanks everyone for the responses, I’ve since gone and bought a small clipboard and I’ve been working on my half finished bracelets on long train rides, people have just been ignoring me or just giving me weird looks but at the same time I’ve been too absorbed in knotting to notice lol
scamac1248
Professional
scamac1248
2 years ago by scamac1248
I use a clipboard and I mainly work on them in school and I think I’ve done it enough to the point where people are used to it and they just know that I do bracelets. People are normally super intrigued and I’ve never gotten a bad comment or anything. Most people don’t really care from what I’ve noticed.
xc2024
Professional
xc2024
2 years ago by xc2024
i tie it to my water bottle and do it at school sometimes
Ericavos18
Bracelet King
Ericavos18
1 year, 11 months ago by Ericavos18
Yeah, actually i bring mine wherever im bored! 👍
Kada
Skiller
Kada
1 year, 11 months ago by Kada
As soon as I get my starting loop and a couple rows done, the bracelet goes straight on one of my carabineer clips and I put it on my water bottle. From there I just carry it around everywhere and sometimes people will ask me about it, other times they'll just ignore it, but I haven't gotten a negative comment yet!
Kada
Skiller
Kada
1 year, 11 months ago by Kada
*carabiner

Whoops! But my main point still stands!
GittyFRDMN
Bracelet King
GittyFRDMN
1 year, 11 months ago by GittyFRDMN
I bring it every single day to school with my clipboard and printed out pattern. Even my teachers don’t mind anymore.
selucia
Skiller
selucia
1 year, 11 months ago by selucia
i have one of those big water bottles that i carry around with me all time, and i keep the bracelet(s) that i'm working on attached to it. i end up knotting during class/at school a lot, or when i'm waiting or bored. plus, hydration! 😉
lydia_g
Professional
lydia_g
1 year, 10 months ago by lydia_g
Sometimes I bring a bracelet and a safety pin out in public, tucked in my pocket. (Wear jeans!) The safety pin stays nice on denim and i can make them on my pants in public. Lol