Bracelet King
luka2211
3 years, 2 months ago by luka2211
soooo yeah
llama1013
Bracelet King
llama1013
3 years, 2 months ago by llama1013
I have a question! What exactly does the term gender fluid mean? Or at least what does it mean in your own words? I've heard it many times before and had considered myself familiar with it, but someone recently asked me what it meant and I couldn't actually explain it to them. I'm just curious to see what other people think
plant-dad
Bracelet King
plant-dad
3 years, 2 months ago by plant-dad
@llama1013 i’m not the creator of this post, but i can try to answer your question! i understand genderfluid to be a shifting feeling. some days, a person may feel more male, while another day they may feel no gender. some genderfluid people may only use they/them pronouns, while others may only use he/him, she/her, etc. or a combination of those! everyone’s experiences with their gender are different, but the general definition would be to have a gender identity that shifts or changes over time. fun thing i did for one of my genderfluid friends, is that i made them a set of colored bracelets they could wear so i would know what pronouns they wanted me to use for that day. i did green, pink, and blue, but other colors can be used too! they would wear pink on days they wanted to use she/her, blue for he/him, and green for they/them. i think it originally started as either a tumblr or reddit post, but i don’t exactly remember. i hope this answered your questions!
luka2211
Bracelet King
luka2211
@llama1013 gender fluid means someone feels a different gender at certain times like maybe one day they feel male and another day they feel female. They can also feel not masculine or feminine at sometimes. Sorry I didn’t respond to you earlier.
llama1013
Bracelet King
llama1013
3 years, 2 months ago by llama1013
@plant-dad @luka2211 thank you both so much! I understand better now. And @luka2211 no problem, I'm not always able to respond right away either
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
3 years, 2 months ago by indaco
I have one question too, I am ignorant and I want to learn! Who is a tom boy and what's the difference between a tom boy and a demi-girl? And who is a butch? Sorry if the question is stupid, I am just really ignorant 😓
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 2 months ago by halokiwi
@indaco a tomboy is usually a girl (or someone who is seen as a girl) who dresses or behaves in a masculine way.
A demigirl is someone whose gender is partially female. You could say they only feel like a girl partially.
luka2211
Bracelet King
luka2211
@indaco The difference is that a tomboy acts or feels more masculine but still feels like a women but a demi-girl doesn't feel completely like a girl.
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@halokiwi @luka2211 thank you really much, it was very helpful!
plant-dad
Bracelet King
plant-dad
@indaco also, a butch is usually someone who is a female (i’ve also heard of non-binary people identifying as butch too) who presents in a masculine way. the opposite would be fem or femme people who present in a more feminine way. of course, everyone’s experience with their gender and presentation is different, and i may not be 100% accurate. please correct me if i am wrong!
luka2211
Bracelet King
luka2211
@plant-dad well said!
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@plant-dad Thank you! But then what's the difference between a butch and a tomboy? Is a tomboy only someone who identifies as female, while a butch as female or nb?
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
Since you all are very willing to answer my questions, I have another question: are there any words like these for males or nb? Example: a really masculine boy or a feminine boy who identifies as male
madlakes21
Bracelet King
madlakes21
3 years, 2 months ago by madlakes21
I have a question! I use the term bro a lot to girls who are biologically girls and I say it to a lot of boys aswell. Would it be offensive if I said bro to a non-binary or transgender person?? Because it’s just what I say all the time but again I don’t want to offend anyone (:
luka2211
Bracelet King
luka2211
@madlakes21 I think you can, because if it's not meant to be binary then you should use it for everyone. Maybe you could ask them first if their ok with it but I think that its fine as long as it's not meant to be hurtful or doesn't hurt them. hope this helped if it didn't ill explain a little more.
madlakes21
Bracelet King
madlakes21
3 years, 2 months ago by madlakes21
@luka221 ahhh ok thank you!!
luka2211
Bracelet King
luka2211
@indaco i'm not sure what you mean.. could you explain more?
luka2211
Bracelet King
luka2211
@madlakes21 np!
plant-dad
Bracelet King
plant-dad
@indaco they’re both very similar, but i feel like most people prefer butch because a lot them were called a “tomboy” in their childhood. (in america, it can be used as a way to invalidate a lot of trans men and non-binary people by basically calling them girls even though they aren’t) i personally hate the term tomboy for myself since i’m a trans man and it’s used in an offensive way when said to me. the safest thing to do is ask the person you’re talking to if they prefer one term or another for themselves. i don’t use the term butch for myself either, because i don’t really feel the need to. butch is mostly used to put lesbian women into categories based on how masculine they present. there’s also the stereotype about how only a butch and femme can be in a relationship. i find it harmful in those circumstances, but i think it’s okay for people who aren’t trying to separate others or themselves like that. as for your other question, i don’t think that there are really any other terms that i know of. (if someone knows of any, please let me know!) some feminine men identify with the word femme while others may not use words like that at all. for non-binary people, i have seen some of them identify as femme and butch, so i think it’s pretty common. again, if i’m inaccurate about anything, please correct me and let me know!
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@plant-dad that was a really clear explanation, now I know a lot of new things, thank you really much! I come from Italy so we have a different language and different words (some of them are translated, like "tomboy = ragazzaccio", some are almost unknown or don't exist at all, like "femme"). I would never call someone butch of femme or anything unless they told me that they are happy with that