PLEASE DEBATE: IS SEGMENT KNOTTING ALWAYS FASTER?
clar
Bracelet King
clar
3 years, 2 months ago by clar
im not sure and curious ab ur opinions. i think obviously in a chevron or candy stripe, yes, it is faster, but sometimes i feel like i make more progress on my bracelets without it.
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
3 years, 2 months ago by oceanknot
I’ve never knotted row by row, but if segment knotting confuses and makes you lose track in your bracelet/causes you to make a lot of mistakes and have to undo them, then I think in some cases row by row could be faster. I guess it kind of just depends on the person, but I’ve never done row by row ( or at least I don’t think I have)
clar
Bracelet King
clar
@oceanknot it's not as much forgetting/ making mistakes it's more on patterns where i'm making 4 knots across or 4 knots per segment or something like that i find the bracelet builds up faster row by row (at least for me)
escobpen00
Bracelet King
escobpen00
3 years, 2 months ago by escobpen00
i think that segment knotting is faster, but it depends on the pattern. some are easy to segment knot, some are a new color and knot every knot.
clar
Bracelet King
clar
@escobpen00 good point!!
crafter83
Bracelet King
crafter83
3 years, 2 months ago by crafter83
I think it depends on the pattern and the person
2006_Mandy
Bracelet King
2006_Mandy
3 years, 2 months ago by 2006_Mandy
I believe its faster to segment knot at least for me it is because then you can easily memorise the pattern and do not have to continue switching strings for every knot with segment knotting you can do several knots before switching.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 2 months ago by halokiwi
I also think it is faster but it might not be significantly faster for patterns where you don't have big segments. How much faster it is than knotting row by row depends on how big your segments are.

Being confused can definitely be something that can slow segment knotting down but if you take a screenshot or a print of the pattern and draw the segments into it that can help eliminate this confusion and makes you get faster.
ananya123
Bracelet King
ananya123
3 years, 2 months ago by ananya123
Personally, I think its faster than the ow by row method. You dont have to switch between strings. And you can knot like 5 strings with one color (if that is in ur pattern).
sampuv00
Bracelet King
sampuv00
3 years, 2 months ago by sampuv00
honestly segment knotting changed my bracelet game. I put off learning to segment knot for the longest time because I was so overwhelmed in just trying to learn how to make perfect knots and perfect bracelets but once I buckled down and learned to segment knot, now I can't even fathom knotting row by row. Not only does it go faster, but the quality of my bracelets improved dramatically. I can't even think about doing patterns that I can't segment knot. Seems too tedious now.
S_knots_me
Advanced
S_knots_me
3 years, 2 months ago by S_knots_me
I think segment knotting is faster because it's easier to memorise the pattern so you don't always have to keep looking back at the pattern 🙂
but it depends on what you prefer I like segment knotting
sadnymph
Bracelet King
sadnymph
3 years, 2 months ago by sadnymph
for me, segment knotting makes it easier to memorise the pattern, and i think it makes my bracelets look better! ❤️
ag_knots
Bracelet King
ag_knots
3 years, 1 month ago by ag_knots
Not always. Some patterns are so complex it just makes no difference.
stormii
Bracelet King
stormii
3 years, 1 month ago by stormii
I don't know how to look at a row by row pattern and turn it into a segment knotting pattern, so usually, I do row by row unless I can find a segment knotting video tutorial on the pattern, but segment knotting is easier to memorize is faster for me.
clar
Bracelet King
clar
3 years, 1 month ago by clar
@ag_knots yes yes that's exactly how i feel
Jules_19
Bracelet King
Jules_19
3 years, 1 month ago by Jules_19
Not always but almost 100% of the time
june412406
Bracelet King
june412406
3 years, 1 month ago by june412406
i have to say 9/10 yes. the only time it might not be is if the pattern isn’t suited for segment knotting. that meaning it’s designed with no rows of the same knots ever. for example a 1212 pattern just there is no way to segment knot it so by default row by row is faster. i used to say “eww i’ll never do segment knotting or shaped starts it takes away time from just making the bracelet” boy was i wrong. it helps me knot faster and make my finished products look a lot more professional
Aharnish27
Bracelet King
Aharnish27
3 years, 1 month ago by Aharnish27
In some cases I think it is because you can do segments but in others it isn’t because of how the pattern is set up
needadvice
Advanced
needadvice
3 years, 1 month ago by needadvice
i’ve tried knotting row by row b4 i learned how to segment know and it was way slower
Z_crafts
Professional
Z_crafts
3 years, 1 month ago by Z_crafts
I like row by row for harder patterns but for pattern #1 and #2 I use segment knotting!🙂