PLEASE DEBATE: IS SEGMENT KNOTTING ALWAYS FASTER? page 3
onarts_
Bracelet King
onarts_
2 years, 11 months ago by onarts_
I find segment knotting way faster. I understand that with some patterns (like the ones that have a lot of fb and bf knots) it isnt possible to segment knot, but because of that i just wouldnt do those patterns at all. When I started i followed kinsey b's tutorials on some bracelets and she teached row by row so that I was what I did but I personally found it boring so when I found out about segment knotting I just learned it and completly switched to it. If you have trouble learning it i would suggest looking up a tutorial of a bracelet in which they use segment knotting and comparing what they do to the actual pattern. That way you can understand better and try to replicate it.
Minerva
Bracelet King
Minerva
2 years, 10 months ago by Minerva
I try to segment knot as much as possible, it goes faster and it’s easier to memorize, i tried going row by row once and it took 3 times longer, mostly because it was really hard for me to focus on it
Brooke1683
Bracelet King
Brooke1683
2 years, 10 months ago by Brooke1683
I like segment knotting quicker
Monkeubut1
Bracelet King
Monkeubut1
2 years, 9 months ago by Monkeubut1
I only go row buy row on 1 2 patterns, any other pattern I will segment knot.
ritavascon
Skiller
ritavascon
2 years, 9 months ago by ritavascon
I think that if you’re a beginner it can be quite confusing so it may slow you down
clar
Bracelet King
clar
2 years, 9 months ago by clar
hey! thank you to everyone who has responded to this forum! however, i posted this in february and there have been so many notifications still! so, and i really don't want to offend anyone, could we close this forum and stop replying? thank you. sorry if you thought this was rude :/
amazingme
Bracelet King
amazingme
2 years, 8 months ago by amazingme
It definitely depends on the person and pattern. I usually segment knot, but I can never do it on an arrow head cuz I get so lost. I'm sure with practice, one could improve segment knotting but it's just personal preference
savannahe
Bracelet King
savannahe
2 years, 8 months ago by savannahe
I first started by knitting row by row so that i wouldn’t get confused. but a few months after i started i did it by segment knotting. i think that it really just depends on what you are knotting and how much practice you have had making bracelets
AngelBubbl
Bracelet King
AngelBubbl
2 years, 8 months ago by AngelBubbl
I prefer segment knotting and feel its faster for me to use😄 🎉
KuteKat
Bracelet King
KuteKat
2 years, 8 months ago by KuteKat
It depends on your skill level but if you’re good at knotting then I’d say segment knotting is easier however if you aren’t as good then row-by-row is probably easier and faster. Personally I like segment knotting.
mead0wz
Advanced
mead0wz
2 years, 7 months ago by mead0wz
segment knotting is usually faster, but in some situations (1 2 1 2 patterns and patterns with no large coherent sections to segment knot) its faster and easier to go row by row instead.
Horse_Shoe
Bracelet King
Horse_Shoe
2 years, 7 months ago by Horse_Shoe
Segment nottting is free faster in my opinion
Karo-H
Bracelet King
Karo-H
2 years, 7 months ago by Karo-H
I seem to be the odd duck in this case, as i seem to be doing something else (if i understood corretly at least 😉 )...

Segment knotting was faster in my case, but it left it uneven and distorted. Row by row i found to be more complicated. So i started knotting in a "V" shape, especially after triangle ends/ beginnings and loops. I start the pattern on the middle knots and then go down in a V shape. All my knots will follow that V. From right to middle and then left to middle as to then i secure them with the "tip" of the V. I keep this up until the tip reaches my lenght goal and then i will make the triangle ends.
mintcookie
Bracelet King
mintcookie
2 years, 7 months ago by mintcookie
Yes it is faster, if you practice.
Initially row by row knotting may be faster for people who are used to it, but in the long run segment knotting is faster after you get used to it.
- it makes sure that you maximise the number of knots you can make with the same colour before putting it down. It means you’re switching between strings less which saves you time.
- it makes it easier to recognise patterns and hence memorise them. Once you refer to a pattern less, the process is sped up a lot quicker
scorpmoon7
Professional
scorpmoon7
2 years, 7 months ago by scorpmoon7
its faster to go row by row if your pattern is less than 20 strings wide and you habe practice

but as someone who makes 40+ string bracelets regularly, i prefer segment knotting
Camo
Bracelet King
Camo
2 years, 7 months ago by Camo
Yes unless it’s a 1/2 pattern then it’s not worth it
eboyTavros
Skiller
eboyTavros
2 years, 4 months ago by eboyTavros
it depends on the pattern really but ive found the fastest is to go down diagonals row by row rather than straight across
Shelly2121
Bracelet King
Shelly2121
2 years, 3 months ago by Shelly2121
depends! Some patterns (like 1-2 patterns where the knots are mostly FB and bf knots) might be better with the row by row technique. I do think that if you practice it well enough though, segment knotting helps a lot with long strips and blocks of string because you do it all at once. this also depends on skill and preference though-