Keyword helper suggestions for normal patterns
Softawoo
Bracelet King
Softawoo
8ย months, 1ย week ago by Softawoo
Hi everyone!

I've seen the lovely "Tips for Choosing Good Keywords" (https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/155_tips-for-choosing-good-keywords/) and it's definitely useful, especially for alpha keywords. It's clear and easy to understand with the pictured examples.

But, as someone who primarily makes normals, sometimes I struggle to know which keywords are appropriate even when looking at the lists of styles and shapes because there aren't any pictures for those beyond symmetry/asymmetry. Could we add some visuals for those so normal keywords could be more standardized, going forward?

I also wish we could retroactively edit keywords or add them--again, to try to make more patterns easier to find later.

I know I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm willing to help with any of this, understanding that there's a huge volume of patterns here. I've been around this community for a while and I care about helping it grow. โค๏ธ
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
8ย months, 1ย week ago by halokiwi
My advice for you is to look at the keywords on similar patterns, especially patterns made by people who make lots of patterns like @KrazyKnotz @sodapop @Alex_02 @LoopyCat

I don't think existing tutorials can be edited, but maybe @KrazyKnotz could write a part two of her tutorial or someone else could write it.

My advice for keywords in normals:

Which shapes are in it?
-> you can use the keywords heart/hearts, diamond/diamonds/square/squares, rectangle/rectangles, circle/circles, triangle/triangles
(this is also in the tutorial which a few more shapes listed, it applies to both alphas and normals)

Does the pattern have straight edges or a border?
-> you can add the keywords straight-edges/straightedges, border/borders/bordered
(can be found in the technique part of the tutorial, some of those only apply to normals)

Are there outlines in the pattern?
-> you can use outline/outlines/outlined
(in the style part of the tutorial)

Are there elements in the pattern that progress or alternate?
-> you can use progressing, alternating
(can be found in the styles part of the tutorial, applies to both alphas and normals)

Which colour schemes are used?
-> you can use rainbow, ombre, gradient
(also in the tutorial, applies to both alphas and normals)

Looking back, I think the tutorial includes anything you would need. I was not able to think of anything not already in the tutorial.

Remember, you don't need 10 keywords. It's alright to have less, as long as they are good keywords.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
8ย months, 1ย week ago by halokiwi
Since you were missing example images for normal patterns, I'm just going to give some here.

The text is from @KrazyKnotz' tutorial. All credits go to her. I just added example patterns.

Alternatives to common single letters
โ— Along with v you can use chevron or arrow -> pattern #2
โ— Along with x you can use cross -> pattern #96
โ— Along with z you can use zigzag or lightning -> patterns #105 #147, you can also use zig zag
โ— Along with w you can use zigzag or doublechevron -> #50102

Shapes
โ— diamond or square -> patterns #11433 #31072
โ— triangle -> pattern #147
โ— rectangle -> #30627
โ— flower -> #76616
โ— star -> #32405
โ— zig zag -> see above
โ— wavy -> #101810
โ— squiggle -> #90054 #149109
โ— dash -> #59966
โ— dot -> #25162 (for patterns like these you can also often use polkadot)
โ— stripes -> #33434 (you can often also use candystripe)
โ— holes / gaps -> #36452 (you can also use shaped, you can sometimes use chain/chains/chained like for pattern #76616)
โ— arrow -> #24805 (you can often also use arrowhead)
โ— chevron -> #2
โ— dovetail -> #35571

Added by me
โ— fish -> #8 (you can also often use ribbon and cancer)
โ— heart -> #150

Specific color schemes
โ— rainbow -> #7954 (if something is rainbow, gradient also often applies)
โ— ombre -> #16578 (gradient from a darker shade of one colour to a lighter shade of the same colour, you could probably also use fade/fading)
โ— gradient -> #31612

Style
โ— tribal -> #34499 #28009 (personally I don't really like this keyword, because it is a bit unspecific)
โ— celtic -> #32261 #21994 (often depictions of celtic symbols or knots)
โ— aztec -> used very similar to tribal, people don't really seem to make much of a difference
โ— boho -> I don't really understand what this aesthetic entails tbh
โ— geometric -> #27335 (just some clean shapes and hard lines)
โ— nordic -> #111051 (often includes snowflakes and patterns that look like they are knitted)
โ— colorblocking -> #120663 (areas of contrasting colours)
โ— outlined -> #39181
โ— aesthetic -> no longer acceptable because it is too unspecific, instead of it, use the specific aesthetic as a keyword, like cottagecore, boho, etc
โ— distorted -> #25049 (you can also use refracted)
โ— progressing / alternating -> progressing: #54023, alternating: #105642 (sometimes both apply, sometimes only one applies)

Technique
โ— straight edge -> #35326 (straight edges technique is used)
โ— 1212 -> #37109 (only or mainly fb and bf knots are used, pattern often depicts something and mostly uses two colours or one colour and a gradient)
โ— shaped -> #156507 (patterns with left out knots)
โ— holes / gaps -> #36452

Added by me:
โ— chain -> #76616 (shaped pattern that uses chains to connect the individual shaped elements in the pattern)

Is that what you wanted? The easiest way to figure out, what a certain keyword means or how it is used, is to just type in the keyword when searching for patterns.
Softawoo
Bracelet King
Softawoo
8ย months, 1ย week ago by Softawoo
Yes, wow @halokiwi, thanks for putting that together. The styles especially can throw me off--I agree that tribal and similar are kind of hard to pin down. I'll bookmark this for reference, tho, thank you! ๐Ÿ‘