Segment Knotting
beebears16
Advanced
beebears16
1ย year, 1ย month ago by beebears16
Recently, I have been having a really frustrating time trying to learn how to segment knot. I have watched numerous videos as well as looking at the forums trying to understand but for some reason my brain just cannot comprehend how to do it. My biggest struggle I think is recognizing/finding where to start or how to break up the pattern. Is there any patterns I should practice making? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Iโ€™m currently looking at bracelet pattern #136597 (crescent moon) and I can tell from the tags that this pattern can be segment knotted. Iโ€™m lost where to start though, do I go strand by strand (vertically)? Iโ€™m just so lost ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
1ย year, 1ย month ago by oceanknot
It might help to try to look and the pattern and find some shapes you recognize. For example, I see some chevrons and diamonds. If youโ€™re looking for an easier pattern though, #23322 was the first pattern that I read using segment knotting
jazzyghost
Bracelet King
jazzyghost
1ย year, 1ย month ago by jazzyghost
@beebears16 I actually just learned how to segment knot yesterday! I was super confused for months then it suddenly just clicked. Something that really helped me was thinking about which strings I have or haven't crossed over yet in the "section" I'm working with. For example, if you're trying to make a diamond, you can't fully complete the diamond until you knot all the strings the diamond itself crosses over into their proper positions. I'm not sure if that helped at all, I'm still new to segment knotting ๐Ÿ˜… good luck!!
sodapop
Bracelet King
sodapop
1ย year, 1ย month ago by sodapop
I like to think of segment knotting just like you were making chevrons, or portions of them. Knotting diagonally is segment-knotting. So I may be the opposite of some people... knotting straight across is way too confusing to me lol!๐Ÿ˜‚

If you've knotted a basic chevron, you probably start with the center knot, then alternate sides going down diagonally until each side meets in a point... left side, then right side, until you've used all the strings coming together in a V shape, and keep repeating. You can also build a chevron upside down in an A shape going outward to the edges.

So keeping that in mind for this pattern, I would personally start with a teardrop loop with the bottom of the V being the center knot on row 8. Can you see 2 rows of chevrons with white strings there? Also keep in mind that where same-color strings cross, it doesn't matter if you make a forward or backward knot, it's the same color, so you can flip the direction according to the flow or your preference.

For the next chevron, each string goes a different direction, which you could basically build the whole pattern by making chevrons or inverted chevrons, just paying attention to which color and which direction the knot should go. But if you want to break it down further, you could knot the little triangles on the sides separately, just 2 or 3 knots at a time with the same color string. But there's enough direction changes in this pattern that you won't be able to knot very large sections, just smaller segments, and a few complete chevrons and a lot of single knots to fill the space.
"Segmentknot" is in the keywords because there's a lot less fb and bf knots than a 1212 pattern ๐Ÿ˜„

This is maybe a more difficult pattern to start learning segment-knotting, so you might want to start with something that has larger sections of same direction knots, like a diamond, basic arrowhead or slightly embellished chevron to get the hang of it.
I don't know your skill level or if you've ever made a regular candystripe or chevron that was knotted diagonally, but I think any of these would work to practice with:

If you'd like to see some patterns in action, I highly recommend watching any video tutorials by @Craftanati and knot along with her.
She segment knots almost everything and her tutorials are very easy to follow!
beebears16
Advanced
beebears16
1ย year, 1ย month ago by beebears16
@sodapop @jazzyghost @oceanknot Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!! I really appreciate the tips and help!! I'm going to keep trying and practice ๐Ÿ‘