neurodivergent advice?
soka_snips
Professional
soka_snips
1 year, 1 month ago by soka_snips
so i think i might be autistic but i’m not sure and i don’t know what to do. my parents have sort of old fashioned views on neurodivergence and i don’t know if i should even tell them. and i don’t know where to start with getting diagnosed. should i get diagnosed?? if anyone else has any ideas or advice i’m all ears
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year, 1 month ago by halokiwi
I cannot talk from personal experience, but I've seen the advice online, that no matter, if you have a diagnosis or not, you can use tools meant for autistic people (whatever these tools might be), if they are helpful to you. What I took away from this is, that it is possible to find ways to deal with what's going on even without a diagnosis.

Are you still in school? If yes, you could talk to a counsellor (not sure, if this is the correct word) there. (What I mean is the teacher or social worker that you can talk to when you have worries. I don't know the English word or if something like this exists at all schools.)
Aussie_Izz
Bracelet King
Aussie_Izz
1 year, 1 month ago by Aussie_Izz
@halokiwi yes it is normally called a counsellor or learning support depending on the school. But not every school has one, with staffing problems or other things.

I think that trying to figure out more about autism online and seeing what could help you would be good and then telling someone abt it could help. But if you ever want to talk to me about it you can always message!
soka_snips
Professional
soka_snips
@halokiwi i never thought about going to a counselor. i’m gonna look into that. @Aussie_Izz thank you both for your help!🫶🏻
Aussie_Izz
Bracelet King
Aussie_Izz
1 year, 1 month ago by Aussie_Izz
Np! 👍 ❤️
knot2shaby
Bracelet King
knot2shaby
1 year, 1 month ago by knot2shaby
*comes running and gasping for breath* d-did someone say neurodivergent?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!
omg heyyyyy!! adhd girl hereee!!
definitely talk to a trusted adult, like a teacher, dean, or school counselor about your concerns, and how your parents feel about it.
if you have any other questions about anything really, feel free to reach out!!!

<3
swag123456
Skiller
swag123456
1 year, 1 month ago by swag123456
I also have adhd, and i definitely recommend talking to someone abt it. it can be a school counselor, parent, or just generally a trusted adult. i hope this is helpful, and coming from someone who everyone thought was just disorganized but i talked to a counselor and she told me to get tested. i hope this helped and you figure it out.
KyLeNuGgEt
Advanced
KyLeNuGgEt
1 year, 1 month ago by KyLeNuGgEt
Feel free to pm me ! personally I’m adhd so my experience might be a little different but some things I do that are often also found in autism are stimming and hyper sensitivity to noise.
soka_snips
Professional
soka_snips
@KyLeNuGgEt thank you guys so much
two_gender
Skiller
two_gender
1 year ago by two_gender
What is Neurodivergency? Sorry I am new to the topic
soka_snips
Professional
soka_snips
1 year ago by soka_snips
@two_gender hi there! I might not be the most educated on the subject, but the way I understand it, neurodivergence includes Autism, ADHD, OCD, dyslexia and any other neurological difference or disorder that can affect a person. Thanks for asking!