[TIPS WANTED] How do I organise my threads?
punklaidas
Skiller
punklaidas
3 years, 3 months ago by punklaidas
Hi!

Currently I simply put them all in a drawer the way they come from the stores and often the labels wrapped around fall off then all the thread just goes loose and the whole drawer becomes a mess.

I saw people organising their strings on these plastic (I think) things that you wrap the string around and you can store them all neatly. How are they called and where can I get a bunch of them cheaply?
Any item recommendations that would be useful for organising my thread is appreciated! ❤️
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
3 years, 3 months ago by amwatson
The little plastic/paper things are called bobbins. You can get them in some craft stores and on amazon. But they can be quite expensive if you cant get them locally so what I’v started doing is just cutting a little rectangle or cardboard and wrapping my string around that, also if they’re paper or cardboard you can write the colour number on them much easier than with plastic bobbins.
punklaidas
Skiller
punklaidas
3 years, 3 months ago by punklaidas
Thank you! ❤️
cole__
Skiller
cole__
3 years, 3 months ago by cole__
yup, as someone else said, the plastics are called bobbins! if you can't get your hands on them cheaply, i'd recommend wounding them around your fingers- wrap about half of the skein of thread around three of your fingers, then take that off your fingers and wrap the rest of the thread around the middle of that! it's definitely my go-to especially when i order bulk amounts of thread!
Heidiv
Bracelet King
Heidiv
3 years, 3 months ago by Heidiv
umm u can put them in containers
niamheroo
Bracelet King
niamheroo
3 years, 3 months ago by niamheroo
I get DMC Bobbins, and there is usually a space to write the number at the top. You can put the ones around your finger in containers as well as the bobbins.
danielle_3
Bracelet King
danielle_3
3 years, 3 months ago by danielle_3
i recommend using bobbins. you can buy them at micheals, on amazon, or any other craft store. you then can but your skeins of thread onto each bobbin and it doesn't get as tangled or anything. you could put them in a shoebox or something just to store it and have it more organized. some people like to use a plastic storage container with compartments for each color. also if you want you can write the number of the color on top if you want to buy that color again or something. the number is usually on the round paper things on the thread when you buy it.
maddigaddi
Professional
maddigaddi
3 years, 3 months ago by maddigaddi
I personally stay away from bobbins because I think it's too time-consuming to wrap all my thread. I use an old cash register (where the bills are stored) and it's the perfect length for dmc/craft/friendship bracelet thread. I separate by color mostly. Also once a string gets too short for the plastic labels, I rewrap them around my fingers so they're snug and dont get messy.
tikbyg33
Bracelet King
tikbyg33
3 years, 3 months ago by tikbyg33
I use bobbins, and then I have storage containers/boxes that I put those in!
AfriadKnot
Professional
AfriadKnot
3 years, 3 months ago by AfriadKnot
@punklaidas I have to agree with everyone who has already posted: embroidery floss bobbins are the best way to organize your threads. It takes some time to wind them all, but it is 100% worth it! I'd also recommend getting a cheap plastic box (or boxes depending on the amount of string) with compartments to organize them. It makes it so much easier to see what you have! Best of luck with your organizing ❤️
Bella1010
Professional
Bella1010
3 years, 3 months ago by Bella1010
BOBBINS!!!!!!!!
Forgotten3
Bracelet King
Forgotten3
3 years, 3 months ago by Forgotten3
Yeah also if you don’t have bobbins use like card board cut into squares with slits
NB2909
Bracelet King
NB2909
3 years, 3 months ago by NB2909
I use bobbins i found them on amazon and you can also find bobbin winders to make the process much faster!
isabel_gw
Bracelet King
isabel_gw
3 years, 3 months ago by isabel_gw
They are called bobbins
isabel_gw
Bracelet King
isabel_gw
3 years, 3 months ago by isabel_gw
You can order them on Amazon and they are available at craft stores
Eva_Ostlie
Professional
Eva_Ostlie
3 years, 3 months ago by Eva_Ostlie
Hi, I us a plastic organizer and color coordinate my strings!
Nyah1
Bracelet King
Nyah1
3 years, 3 months ago by Nyah1
as for everyone else on this topic, bobbins are a great way to store them. But, you could just use a container and color-coordinate them, and yeah they will get a little messy. but bobbins are the way to go for aesthetics and neatness. I found mine at Walmart. but they do have them for cheaper on Amazon, and a winder is a great idea too. ❤️
zoeyllm
Bracelet King
zoeyllm
3 years, 3 months ago by zoeyllm
Plastic boxes you find at target. Sometimes I hang mine on the walls too but mostly they stay in boxes until I want to do something with them.
workmanha
Bracelet King
workmanha
3 years, 3 months ago by workmanha
Ok so what I did is just got a bunch of embriodery floss bobbins in a pack of string because they came with it....later on I found a bin at micheals that comes with the bobins but if you have a lot of string I recommend more than one but since I didn't think that far ahead I just put the string that was opened on the bobins and kept the unopened ones in a box so if you are on a tght budget you can spread out your purchases if that makes any sense lol hope this helped
thread3
Skiller
thread3
3 years, 3 months ago by thread3
They are called bobbins you can get them from Amazon, joanns, hobby lobby,michals,etc I put mine in a bobbin organizer 🙂