Mixing DMC and Loops & Threads?
baublesbyb
Bracelet King
baublesbyb
3 years, 3 months ago by baublesbyb
I'm considering buying white floss in bulk and Loops & Threads has an all-white pack (https://www.michaels.com/white-embroidery-floss-pack-by-loops-and-threads-36ct/10593169.html), but I've never used that brand before. I usually mix DMC and Iris together, and besides shininess, do they mix well? Does L&T make the same knot size as DMC?
allialexis
Bracelet King
allialexis
3 years, 3 months ago by allialexis
for me it works! My parents usually buy me loops and threads since we go to michaels often so I use that all the time, but my sisters got me dmc and they surprisingly mixed very well together. There was a slight difference in the size of the knots (idk if that’s the brand or just my knot thing) but it comes out pretty good 😄
allialexis
Bracelet King
allialexis
Tying* and the difference was a tiny tiny bit that u could barely even see
baublesbyb
Bracelet King
baublesbyb
Thank you! Are the L&T knots bigger or smaller?
allialexis
Bracelet King
allialexis
Hi! sorry for responding late, the loops and threads were a bit bigger. also next time you respond to someone make sure to @ them so like I would say @baublesbyb so you would get a notification (obviously I don’t need to rn bc it’s ur forum) 🙂
baublesbyb
Bracelet King
baublesbyb
@allialexis ah thank you for the help and the tip!
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
3 years, 3 months ago by oceanknot
@allialexis Does mixing DMC and Loops and Threads work well in alphas too?
allialexis
Bracelet King
allialexis
@oceanknot yes it does (:
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
3 years, 3 months ago by oceanknot
Ok, thank you @allialexis
Forgotten3
Bracelet King
Forgotten3
3 years, 3 months ago by Forgotten3
I honestly mix my threads all the time because I forget to like mark down which threads are which because they are all similar thickness to me
isabel_gw
Bracelet King
isabel_gw
3 years, 3 months ago by isabel_gw
@Forgotten3 same it looks just so similar
dani6ll9
Bracelet King
dani6ll9
3 years, 3 months ago by dani6ll9
I’ve noticed that dmc thread from michaels is size 5 and the the smaller the size is, the thicker the string is. The loops and thread strings are slightly thicker than dmc size 5. Dmc website does have a size 3 craft cord which I am guessing would be exact same as loops and threads
zoeyllm
Bracelet King
zoeyllm
3 years, 3 months ago by zoeyllm
You may have to adjust your tension but I don't think it should be a big problem because the width of the threads in not such a huge difference.
baublesbyb
Bracelet King
baublesbyb
@Forgotten3 kinda same; i have like three different brands of white thread and it's a mess to sort through when I need to replace an alpha string 😭
baublesbyb
Bracelet King
baublesbyb
@zoeyllm @dani6ll9 Thanks guys, I actually ended up buying a white DMC cone because most of my floss is DMC; but I appreciate it!
potato1122
Professional
potato1122
3 years, 3 months ago by potato1122
Yup! I mix the brands for all my bracelets! Happy knotting!
catrin
Skiller
catrin
3 years, 3 months ago by catrin
I’m sure it will work!
workmanha
Bracelet King
workmanha
3 years, 3 months ago by workmanha
I mix the two a lot and there if I didn't know that they were different brands I wouldn't even notice the difference unless I looked very closely.
Margaron
Margaron
3 years, 3 months ago by Margaron
The two are very similar in size enough so that it shouldn’t impact anything drastically. I think your most notable difference will be in the finish of the thread- DMC tends to have a little more shine than loops and threads.
horses13
Bracelet King
horses13
3 years, 2 months ago by horses13
I mix them together all the time and my bracelet turn out pretty good in my opinion.