making patterns
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
3 years, 3 months ago by neonpool
ive only made a few patterns on bracelet book and i really want to make more to help contribute to this site, does anyone know any good tips or videos to making a good normal pattern? also how do you make sure your strings match on the top and bottom easier :0
thank you so much to the people who (hopefully) respond!!
have a good day/night 🎉
cole__
Skiller
cole__
3 years, 3 months ago by cole__
If you're just starting out with making normal patterns, I 100% recommend starting out with making symmetrical patterns, with a smaller amount of strings and colors that contrast- it makes the whole process a lot easier and gets you used to normal pattern making! I have a ton of normal patterns I've made but I've never gotten around to posting them 😂 I hope this helps!
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
3 years, 3 months ago by oceanknot
To make your strings match up, just repeat your pattern. For example, if your patterns looks like

f,f,f,b,b,b
f,f,f,b,b,b,b

Copy and paste the pattern until the strings match up. For example,

f,f,f,b,b,b
f,f,f,b,b,b,b
f,f,f,b,b,b
f,f,f,b,b,b,b
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
I would also suggest using a visual pattern generator to make designing your patterns easier.
KrazyKnotz
Super Moderator
KrazyKnotz
3 years, 3 months ago by KrazyKnotz
Here are 2 tutorials I made on Normal patterns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HolYORv9P8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_2uZ1RQ5Jc

I recommend starting with a 12 string pattern when learning to make a Normal pattern because there are enough strings that you can actually see a design, but not too many strings that make it hard for beginners. You can make the pattern easier by using less colors.

I always start with a basic/simple base pattern like:

I then add things like diamonds/zigzag/lines/dots/squares, and play around with the different elements by adding/taking away things. I look at patterns that already exist and see how these elements are made. I recommend saving your base pattern as a couple patterns, so if you don’t like how your pattern looks, you don’t lose all your work, you can just go to your other patterns and start again.

Make sure to pay attention to the top of the screen where there are warnings. I usually don’t worry if it saying the top strings don’t match the bottom strings until I’m done with my pattern.

The easiest way to make the strings match is to copy the pattern’s code and paste it under itself, save and preview. If the strings still don’t match, just repeat this step again, and so on.

I also recommend making some of these basic patterns that you want to use for your patterns, because it really helps you learn and visualize how the knot structure works, and making designing easier.
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
@KrazyKnotz w o a h that’s a lot of information!! Thanks so much! That’s really going to help! 🎉 🎉 🎉
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
@oceanknot ok!! Got the first part, thank you very much! Also, what’s a visual pattern generator? :0 thanks again!
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
@cole_ that really helped so much!! I made a pattern last night based on what you said and it really helped! Thank you so so so much XD
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
@cole__ whoops think I spelled the user wrong, look at the comment above this one to see the reply lol
cole__
Skiller
cole__
3 years, 3 months ago by cole__
@neonpool haha it's okay!! i'm so glad it helped! it's just about getting used to the generator, and soon, you'll be able to whip up crazy patterns easily c:
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
A visual pattern generator is a generator where you can physically see and control the knots you’re moving. I know they’re working on one for braceletbook, but as of right now, they’re not sure when it will be finished.
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
@cole__ im going to try my hardest!!
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
@oceanknot ooooh! that sounds cool!! could you give me a website that does that? it would really help me :0
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
Sure, I’ll message you it cause I don’t think I can say it’s name on here since it’s promoting another website.
neonpool
Bracelet King
neonpool
@oceanknot ok!