Helping you figure out how to segment knot patterns (reading normal patterns)
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 5 months ago by halokiwi
Hello everyone, today is your lucky day if you struggle with segment-knotting 🍀

I already posted this in the request section and I was really surprised about the lack of interest. So please don't be shy. I don't bite! 😄

I know lots of people struggle with figuring out how to segment knot patterns. Segment knotting is when instead of knotting row by row you knot in diagonals as often as possible. If you have done the candystripe #1 or chevron #2 you most likely already segment knotted.

I have decided to help you figure out how to segment knot a pattern of your choosing. There are just a few rules/restrictions:

- Please before asking me either read my tutorial on segment-knotting (https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/97_how-to-segment-knot/) or watch a video for example the one by MashaKnots @Racoon (https://youtu.be/cwTBtpF0TcE) or the one by @Margaron (https://youtu.be/cNMyp3VGdzQ) to get a basic understanding of segment knotting. Segment knotting is less difficult than it seems and once you understood how you can do it it gives you so much freedom in regards of making bracelets because you no longer depend on tutorials. (You can of course also always knot row-by-row if that's what you prefer or if segment-knotting is intimidating to you.)

- Everybody can request only one pattern. This is to make sure that I can help as many people as possible.

There are different ways I will try to help you figure out how to segment knot a certain pattern. If the pattern isn't super complex and doesn't have many different steps I'll write the steps out. If the pattern is more complex I will either give you pointers about how the pattern is structured or I will put a screenshot of the pattern with the segments drawn in as my profile picture temporarily so you can download it from there. (If you request more complex patterns I'll assume that you are more experienced, if you are a beginner consider requesting less complex patterns/patterns with less strings.)

Happy knotting! 😄
sxnnyside
Professional
sxnnyside
3 years, 5 months ago by sxnnyside
Can you please help me with segment knotting this pattern: #56129 ? 🙂
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
@sxnnyside do you want to do any specific start?
sxnnyside
Professional
sxnnyside
No thank you. I just do one twisted tie, a knot, and start making it.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
How to segment knot pattern #56129:

Pattern #56129 has three different parts: refracted chevron, big diamond and another refracted chevron but the other way around.

1st refracted chevron:
I recommend you always take the outer string and then knot in a v-shape like you would knot a regular chevron.
- take the first string on the left and make 3 f knots with it, then you do two b knots onto it
- take the first string on the right and make 3 b knots with it, then you do two f knots onto it
- make any knot between the two strings that are now in the middle

Transition 1st refracted chevron to big diamond:
In this step you knot like described above but stop earlier. The left out knots will be made in the next step
- when you get to making the chevron with the yellow strings make all the knots except the one in the middle
- with the light pink you do only four knots on either side
- with the pink you do only three knots on either side
- with the dark pink you do only two knots on either side
- with the light purple you do only one knot on either side

big diamond:
- make any knot between the two yellow strings in the middle, then knot all the way to the edge with both strings
- make any knot between the two light pink strings in the middle, then knot towards the edge with them but instead of knotting all the way to the edge you make a bf knot on the left and bf knot on the right onto the purple string and then stop
- make any knot between the two pink strings, make one b knot with the left string and than a bf knot, make one f knot with the right string and then a fb knot
- make any knot between the two dark pink strings
- knot a chevron with the pink strings
- knot a chevron with the light pink strings
- make a chevron with the yellow strings

2nd refracted chevron:
I also recommend to knot in a v shape. I feel like knotting towards the middle gives the best results most of the time.
- take the first string on the left, make 3 b knots onto it, then make 2 f knots with it
- take the first string on the right, make 3 f knots onto it, then make 2 b knots with it
- make any knots between the two strings in the middle

@sxnnyside I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions regarding specific steps feel free to ask 😄
sxnnyside
Professional
sxnnyside
thank you so much for your help! 🙂
paizley
Advanced
paizley
3 years, 4 months ago by paizley
hii i need help on doing segment knotting on pattern #66673 , i am starting with a loop 🙂
Floss_Star
Advanced
Floss_Star
3 years, 4 months ago by Floss_Star
Could you help with pattern #55814???
Thanks a bunch!
DenyceC
Bracelet King
DenyceC
3 years, 4 months ago by DenyceC
@paizley A teardrop loop?
DenyceC
Bracelet King
DenyceC
@paizley The instructions for #6673 are my profile picture now.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 4 months ago by halokiwi
@DenyceC thank you for doing this. 😄

@paizley do you still want a written out version or are you good to go? 😄
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
@Floss_Star

This is how to segment knot pattern #55814:

I'm starting the explanation of the pattern in row 3 with a v-shaped start

Preparation: put your strings in the order baceddecab

First chevron:
- take the first string on the left (b) and make f knots with it all the way to the center (4 f knots in total)
- take the last string on the right (b) and make b knots with it all the way to the center (4 b knots in total)
- make any knot you want between the two strings of colour b that are now in the middle

Left triangle:
- take the first string on the left (a) and make two f knots with it and then one fb knot
- take the first string on the left (c) and make an fb knot with it
- take the string of colour a again and make two b knots

Right triangle:
- take the last string on the right (a) and make two b knots with it and then one bf knot
- take the last string on the right (c) and make an bf knot with it
- take the string of colour a again and make two f knots

Middle diamond:
- take the left string of the two strings in the middle (b) and make two b knots and one bf knot with it
- now take the other string of colour b and make two f knots and one fb knot
- make any knot you want between the two strings that are now in the middle (d)
- take the left string of the two strings in the middle (d) and make one bf knot
- now take the other string of colour d and make one bf knot
- make any knot you want between the two strings that are now in the middle (d)
- take the third string from the left (b) and make two f knots
- take the third string on the right (b) and make two b knots.
- make any knot you want between the two strings that are now in the middle (b)

Those are all the steps you need to know. After you did those steps you start again with the first step but since the strings are in a different order now you just do them with different colours. The colours mentioned in my written out explanation are only for the first time doing these steps.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. 😄
DenyceC
Bracelet King
DenyceC
No problem!
Floss_Star
Advanced
Floss_Star
3 years, 4 months ago by Floss_Star
@halokiwi
Thank you so much, that was very helpful!
Belle0812
Professional
Belle0812
3 years, 4 months ago by Belle0812
This is so nice of you!!! I have had a lot of trouble lately trying to figure out how to segment knot!!!would you please help me with #64143
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
@Belle0812 here is how to segment-knot pattern #64143:

First of all: when you make a knot between two strings of the same colour you can do any knot you want. In the pattern there are lots of knots between two white strings. You don't have to do the exact knots that are in the pattern.

Simplified you could say the pattern consists of a candystripe to the right Row 2 to 6) and a candystripe to the left (row 8 to 12). At the point where the candystripe switches direction there is a white line interrupting the colours (row 1 and row 7).

I would knot the pattern the following way
- make all knots of row 1
- knot the candystripe to the right from row 2 to 6
- make all knots of row 7
- knot the candystripe to the left from row 8 to 12
sunshine5
Bracelet King
sunshine5
3 years, 4 months ago by sunshine5
Can you help me with pattern number.....
sunshine5
Bracelet King
sunshine5
sunshine5
Bracelet King
sunshine5
Oh wait never mind I dident realize that was the most recent one😂😂
sunshine5
Bracelet King
sunshine5