I HATE my alphas! 🙁 Tips for straighter knots and fewer lumps?
WhyKn07
Advanced
WhyKn07
3 years, 1 month ago by WhyKn07
Just made my first full alpha bracelet, and while it came out okay overall, I have two issues:

1. I hate that the knots are all "slanted." Is there a way to make knots lay straighter so it doesn't mess up the look of the pattern?
2. I'm using the straight edges and flat alpha techniques, but still have an awful lot of lumps. I think it's at least in part due to having to change colors at the edges. Is there any way to fix this?

My profile picture is the bracelet I just made. Thanks in advance for any tips!
reedy12
Bracelet King
reedy12
3 years, 1 month ago by reedy12
You can use something like a hard plastic ruler and push it against the knots to make the row straighter. I hope this helps 🙂
Basilology
Bracelet King
Basilology
3 years, 1 month ago by Basilology
It's actually really good! It takes time and practice to get it exactly right, so be gentle on yourself (:

1. You can try pulling the leading string horizontally when you are tying the knots. It works for me, but might not work for everyone, so try finding different ways to tie your knots.
2. When you change strings, pull at the older string and the newer string and adjust it another way until you like the knot. You can also use your nail. Color changes are hard especially on the side of the bracelet. After changing the string and knotting one to two knots on the second row, pull at the side base string and, again, you can use your nail, or adjust it in another way to correct it.
Basilology
Bracelet King
Basilology
3 years, 1 month ago by Basilology
Also, do you mind if I send you a friend request? It's okay if you don't accept them.
Unicorns4
Bracelet King
Unicorns4
3 years, 1 month ago by Unicorns4
I usually try to:
1. Not mix brands (only use one, if the base strings are a different brand, that's fine)
2. Use a ruler to push onto the row to keep it as straight as I can
Hope this helps! ❤️
Deuken
Bracelet King
Deuken
3 years, 1 month ago by Deuken
@WhyKn07 If your alpha has lots of color changes in the alpha bracelet, then there can be lumps. What you can do is use multiple strings of the same color to do your color change. Especially when it comes to background string and you're pulling it from one side to the other.
Yellowfang
Bracelet King
Yellowfang
3 years, 1 month ago by Yellowfang
That looks great! My first alpha leterally looked like 💩. But I kept practicing and I eventually got better! When my bracelets get slanted I make the knots on the higher side looser so they’re bigger and on the lower sid smaller. Till it levels out. Hope this help!
onarts_
Bracelet King
onarts_
3 years, 1 month ago by onarts_
One thing that i learned and made my alphas much better is that when there is a color change in the edge use the normal technique not the flat alpha one so instead of putting your old leading string inside the knot at the end just put it behind the bracelet and start with the new leading string, you can see it in Masha Knots' old alpha video. And I learned this from Alex Innovations' tips and tricks for alphas or something like that.
But your bracelet is great! Everyone's alphas are not perfect at first so don't worry
RavenAMZ06
Bracelet King
RavenAMZ06
3 years, 1 month ago by RavenAMZ06
It actually looks pretty good! Try out new techniques, like the straight edges technique, or try to make your knots tighter. Sometimes if the object that you use to secure the bracelet kinda lets the bracelet come out whenever you make a knot, can cause it to slant. Try to use something which can hold on to the bracelet tightly.
I hope this helps! ❤️ ❤️
bracebyluv
Skiller
bracebyluv
3 years, 1 month ago by bracebyluv
you can use a ruler to help the slanted look. the lumps may be caused from the type of string you use and the tension. try to pull all the same tension! hope this helps 🙂
stewon6969
Bracelet King
stewon6969
3 years, 1 month ago by stewon6969
If you wanna help with slanted knots, then use a ruler to help straighten them up! You can also loosen up your knots. Masha Knots @Racoon on youtube has a video on how to amek better alphas if you wanna go and chekc that out! Wish you the best!
Macaron567
Bracelet King
Macaron567
3 years, 1 month ago by Macaron567
Maybe try to change the way you are tying your knots a bit. It can help quite a bit. By the way, Masha Knots actually uploaded a video today to help you make better alphas. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-UWqtTxWls&t=302s&ab_channel=MashaKnots
Hope this helps! 😉
allyson606
Bracelet King
allyson606
3 years, 1 month ago by allyson606
Hiii I am here to help!! For the "slanted knot" issue you are having is sometimes normal depending on how bad the issue is, meaning, everyone's knots are a little slanted.But you can try to pull your leading string when you make the knot into the direction your want. For the lumpiness I would try to loosen your knots up a little bit and again, pull your knots around a little. I like to use a ruler to push up against my bracelet to manipulate my knots into the formation I like.
potato1122
Professional
potato1122
3 years ago by potato1122
Play with knot tension!
lucass_
Bracelet King
lucass_
3 years ago by lucass_
i heard that if you double base strings, it can make your knots less slanted. never tried this but i’ve heard that could make them more squarish
cooper10
Bracelet King
cooper10
3 years ago by cooper10
Another thing that help is if you cut the strings in the back that are pulling across! (Masha Knots has a video on it - How to Make Better Alphas)
saggarwal2
Bracelet King
saggarwal2
3 years ago by saggarwal2
I would say practicing would make it better, I used to make alphas like the one you made, which is not bad. To get better you might wanna make simple alphas until you are really confident. Hope this helps! 😄
Crafty_K
Bracelet King
Crafty_K
3 years ago by Crafty_K
Based on the experience I have had while doing alphas, I found that loosening up your knots makes the overall bracelet neater, with a lot fewer bumps and straighter rows. My suggestion would be to try to make the knots a little looser in each bracelet until you are happy with how it looks. I hope this helps! 😊