How did you start making alphas?
TM007
Professional
TM007
3 years, 9 months ago by TM007
I just can't seem to get a grasp on making them. What confuses me is adding in different colors, when I try to do it the bracelet bunches up. I've looked at Masha's videos and others are different so it confuses me. Any tips?
angeldior
Bracelet King
angeldior
3 years, 9 months ago by angeldior
i actually have the same problem,, i know this seems to be the solution to every question on here, but it takes practice! maybe try some small patterns with only one color switch! if you do normal patterns, think about the first time making them compared to now: see how it improved by practice? (i assume you already do normal patterns if youre starting to do alphas)
TM007
Professional
TM007
3 years, 9 months ago by TM007
The weird thing is I never really struggled with normal patterns! That's why this is so frustrating. So many pretty alpha patterns I can't do 😢
-Nobody-
Bracelet King
-Nobody-
3 years, 9 months ago by -Nobody-
I would suggest just practicing on a small black and white pattern or at least something small with very few color changes, watch videos, practice helps a lot, I started by doing a simple letter alpha by spelling my name. It helped me
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
3 years, 9 months ago by Someone_
When you are making your colour switch(adding new colour) try not to pull too tight when making that first half of the knot.
Also, practicing with simple patterns (very few base strings, and that uses two colours) like #1654 & #21401 first will help you.
2006_Mandy
Bracelet King
2006_Mandy
3 years, 9 months ago by 2006_Mandy
Try not tying the colour switch knots too tightly theism might be causing your bracelets to tighten?
KoolKnots
Skiller
KoolKnots
3 years, 9 months ago by KoolKnots
I usually tape it down an hold the other leading string in my left then in the first half of the knot I stick it through and tighten it if It scrunches up try to tie the previous knots closer together and make sure no strings are sticking out
stewon6969
Bracelet King
stewon6969
3 years, 9 months ago by stewon6969
Make sure that all your knots are made with the knot tension. ❤️
Harriet
Bracelet King
Harriet
3 years, 9 months ago by Harriet
I recommend starting with a thin pattern and one that only has 2 or 3 colour switches and don’t worry about the start and finish attach it to a key ring or just tie a knot hope this helped 👍
rayedesol
Bracelet King
rayedesol
3 years, 9 months ago by rayedesol
Honestly, I started making alpha's first. I always found reading alpha patterns to be easier than normal patterns. My brain is obviously wired weird.

The best advice I can give to you is to make an alpha pattern that isn't more than 10 strings and 3 colors to start. Also, watch Masha Knots YouTube video on how to make an alpha, there's other good videos too.
rosiexmb
Advanced
rosiexmb
3 years, 9 months ago by rosiexmb
I literally had this same exact problem! I am pretty good at normal patterns so I decided to make alphas and watched masha's videos but honestly I did not understand it. But then I found this video I will put the link, and that video was the only video that helped me understand the color switching technique. I officially made my first alpha yesterday!! A small butterfly charm 😍 here is the link to the vid I watched! super short and brief. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpU9BO36sdo
alyssa_w
Advanced
alyssa_w
3 years, 9 months ago by alyssa_w
Think of a alpha pattern as a grid and each knot is a "square" in the grid and start your pattern from left to right. Hope this helps!
Smileyalot
Advanced
Smileyalot
3 years, 9 months ago by Smileyalot
i'm still just starting alphas but some things that have helped me have been:
-not tying knots super tight
-starting verrrrryyyy basic keychains just to get used to switching colours
-rag rug bracelets
-rewatching tons of masha knots
bracelally
Professional
bracelally
3 years, 9 months ago by bracelally
@rayedesol I’m the exact same way. I started making
bracelally
Professional
bracelally
3 years, 9 months ago by bracelally
Whoops I messed up. I started making alpha bracelets before making patterns. But I’ve only made two alphas before and I’m going to say that taping the beginning of a new string to the right when doing a backward knot and to the left if doing a forward knot. If that helps. Also it helps me to put a bunch of tape down when you first start making bracelets.
kiaraxmag
Advanced
kiaraxmag
3 years, 9 months ago by kiaraxmag
instead of trying to do a pattern, just make a base of about 7-9 rows and take 2 random colours and alternate between them practicing the colour switch. it takes practice but you will get it eventually!!
maggomango
Professional
maggomango
3 years, 9 months ago by maggomango
try making the first knot with the new color looser but knot too loose
Crafty_K
Bracelet King
Crafty_K
3 years, 9 months ago by Crafty_K
I never started liking alphas until I started watching Masha Knots. They inspired and helped he a lot when it came to making alphas. You should definitely check her channel out! 😊
AJsHere
Bracelet King
AJsHere
3 years, 9 months ago by AJsHere
I made both name bracelets and vertical waves before bigger alphas and it really helped me learn the basics on a smaller scale.
Marieke123
Bracelet King
Marieke123
3 years, 9 months ago by Marieke123
Be gentle with the knots after a color switch. And in general practice a lot! 😄