Bracelet King
Smooshy
3 years, 2 months ago by Smooshy
How do you make a normal pattern?
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
3 years, 2 months ago by oceanknot
So normal patterns are a lot more complicated to make than alphas, but I would suggest using a visual pattern generator on another website/software, then just transfer the knots and color structure to the braceletbook pattern generator
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
Color order, not color structure
Smooshy
Bracelet King
Smooshy
@oceanknot how do you change the strings
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 2 months ago by halokiwi
To change the colours of the strings in a normal pattern you need to put the colours you want to use in "colours used" and then you have to change the order of the strings in "colours order". The first colour in "colours used" corresponds with letter a, the second with b and so on.

To be able to determine the amount of strings you need to have a certain amount of knots per row. If you want an even amount of strings the first row has half that amount of knots and the second one half minus one. If you have an uneven amount of strings all rows need to have the amount of strings minus one divided by two strings.
Smooshy
Bracelet King
Smooshy
@halokiwi thanks! 😊
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
I think halokiwi answered your question. I’m not super advanced when it comes to making normal patterns anyways. Most of them are pretty simple
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
*Most of mine are pretty simple
KrazyKnotz
Super Moderator
KrazyKnotz
3 years, 2 months ago by KrazyKnotz
Here are my two tutorials for Normal patterns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HolYORv9P8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_2uZ1RQ5Jc

I recommend starting with a 12 string pattern when learning to make a Normal pattern because there are enough strings that you can actually see a design, but not too many strings that make it hard for beginners. You can make the pattern easier by using less colors.

I always start with a basic/simple base pattern like:

I then add things like diamonds/zigzag/lines/dots/squares, and play around with the different elements by adding/taking away things. I look at patterns that already exist and see how these elements are made. I recommend saving your base pattern as a couple patterns, so if you don’t like how your pattern looks, you don’t lose all your work, you can just go to your other patterns and start again.

Make sure to pay attention to the top of the screen where there are warnings. I usually don’t worry if it saying the top strings don’t match the bottom strings until I’m done with my pattern.

The easiest way to make the strings match is to copy the pattern’s code and paste it under itself, save and preview. If the strings still don’t match, just repeat this step again, and so on.

I also recommend making some of these basic patterns that you want to use for your patterns, because it really helps you learn and visualize how the knot structure works, and making designing easier.
Smooshy
Bracelet King
Smooshy
@krazyknots thanks!
Smooshy
Bracelet King
Smooshy
Oops @krazyknots
Smooshy
Bracelet King