Adding a minimum age to interact with other users
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
3 years, 3 months ago by indaco
I am not sure, but I have seen a 8 year old on the site and I think that at that age you aren't mature enough to write private messages, post on forums and talk online with strangers unsupervised. I believe that the minimum age to interact with other users should be at least 10.
I think that @Admin should do something, it's not safe for them! I know that those kids feel old enough, but they aren't.

These are the possible solutions to this issue:
1) [harder] Creating an automatic “kids profile” option similar to YouTube Kids. A kid profile would be able to save patterns and to post pictures of their bracelets (photos are already moderated, so they are safe), but NO private messages etc.
2) [easier] Simply banning profiles of kids, they are too young

I am sorry if someone had already posted this, I didn't mean to copy you
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
3 years, 3 months ago by amwatson
I feel like the first option might be more appropriate if the admin agrees, I feel the second option would be quite harsh as all they want to do is make bracelets and post them but it is understandable that having access to the chat and forum topics might cause some issues for younger users due to maturity levels and what they believe is appropriate
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@amwatson I feel like the best thing would be banning users only after 2023, so they'll be 10 by them and they won't be banned anymore. But at the same time new future kid users will know that they shouldn't have a profile (I hope that made grammatically sense, English is not my first language)
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
Personally I see banning all younger users kind of mean because some of them just want to make bracelets and don’t feel the need to engage but I understand that if a younger user is being disruptive or immature that might be the best thing but also because they are young they are fairly impressionable and who knows where in their private life they get their ideals and beliefs and they can’t really help that or their age which as I said above I feel just not giving them access to the chat, comments and forum posts would be best if the admin sees the need. Also banning and unbanning people would be a lot of work for the admin, and waiting until someone is a specific age is kind of flawed because peoples maturity varies immensely. And at the moment I really don’t see younger users being that disruptive, if anything its slightly older users than the age range you discussed that I’ve seen causing problems
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@amwatson I actually meant NOT to ban kids until 2023. To start doing this only them, in the same way some laws are made. You make the rule now, but you start applying it later
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
Also, I have never said that they are causing any problems, I meant the exact opposite! It is dangerous! The internet is not cute and innocent, there are p*dos and other evil people (who should be reported to the police) that might ask them their number or other things. At 8 you can not be enough mature and I don't even see why you should chat online with strangers at that age
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
It's not about being mean, it's about making them safe!
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
I understand that it’s about making them safe but somehow I doubt they would see it that way, if I was younger and was happily using this website and then I was banned under the pretense of it not being safe I would feel as though something way taken away from me for no reason when there was no really issue there. BraceletBook as a whole is a pretty safe and secure environment, recently I noticed that an account was make for the purpose of trolling other users and it was banned within hours so it seems to be that the mods and admin are doing a pretty good job and I don’t believe there have been any instances of predatory behavior on BraceletBook so far anyways
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
Also if you are worried about younger children being put in danger then maybe a rule should be introduced where you cant put your age in your bio, that way bad people cant specifically pick out younger users to prey upon.
amwatson
Bracelet King
amwatson
I’m pretty sure the admin has also recommended not putting your age or any personal information in your bio anyways
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@amwatson that's a great idea! Maybe putting the age limit only in the "age section" (I don't know how to call it) on your profile. For example, you can still have a profile at 8, but you that it is impossible to put that age on there. So the predators won't know if someone is so young
Elise64
Bracelet King
Elise64
3 years, 3 months ago by Elise64
Maybe they should at least not be able to do private messages and post in the chat, but the forums are mostly safe, no one ever swears or says inappropriate things in them
Elise64
Bracelet King
Elise64
Except I don’t know if this would help because you aren’t required to put your birth date in and many people just lie about their age if they aren’t old enough to do something
Elise64
Bracelet King
Elise64
And maybe if your a kid comments should be shut off on certain patterns that they shouldn’t have to learn about
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@Elise64 yeah, at least private messages. The forum is supervised after all
Deer-Teeth
Bracelet King
Deer-Teeth
3 years, 3 months ago by Deer-Teeth
I agree, kids should not be pm-ing people and going in the public chat. there are topics that are mentioned in there that need to be censored (but never are) and an 8 year old should have no reason to message an 18 year old because some stuff could be said in the pm's. If a child that young wanted to ask questions they could comment on one of the person's designs, especially if it's a question related to that bracelet or requesting something similar.

just like there are restrictions with how many variations you can do there should be a restriction where they don't have the ability to go in the public chat or pm people until they're 10-11, and even then they should be restricted on who they can message. they can always message a moderator or admin, but not other site members for what can be said in the dm's
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@Deer-Teeth exactly! Internet is more dangerous than people believe, and at 8 you have no reason to pm anyone! At 8 your personality is still developing and you could get a trauma from what strangers tell you on the internet. We don't live in a cute world
CakeCup
Bracelet King
CakeCup
3 years, 3 months ago by CakeCup
I think that a way to solve this would be if you were making a new account, you would be required to put in your age. you could also choose to show it or not show it on your profile. With the age, the account would automatically know if the child is allowed to chat in the chat, pm, and other stuff.
indaco
Bracelet King
indaco
@CakeCup great idea!!
Elise64
Bracelet King
Elise64
@CakeCup ya that’s a good idea! So it would say like “age *only required for signing up*” or something like that