yarn???
breadcrub
Beginner
breadcrub
4 months, 3 weeks ago by breadcrub
i crochet and wanted to start bracelet making and was wondering if I could use yarn? like if anyone has used yarn before has it actually worked? i obviously understand it would be quite chunky. i don't want to start a bracelet made of yarn if it would just fail miserably. (also, can anyone recommend any beginner-friendly cat patterns)
Hylia224
Bracelet King
Hylia224
4 months, 3 weeks ago by Hylia224
I've seen videos of people using yarn and it seems to work out the same! I just wouldn't do anything over 14 or 15 strings or so.
I also heard @sophlove21 was going to do a wall hanging with yarn so I'd ask her for tips.
For simple cat patterns you could search with cat and alpha or normal and however many strings you'd want it to be
Hylia224
Bracelet King
Hylia224
I found #159263 and #48962
Hylia224
Bracelet King
Hylia224
Oops I meant #48962
Hylia224
Bracelet King
Hylia224
Oh my goodness sorry #48692!
Vivi_knotz
Bracelet King
Vivi_knotz
4 months, 3 weeks ago by Vivi_knotz
#162121 Is absolutely adorable!
breadcrub
Beginner
breadcrub
4 months, 3 weeks ago by breadcrub
thanks so much for the help! all the patterns are really cute and I will definitely make them soon! I'm busy with school with upcoming tests but will definitely do them when I have time on the weekend or if I don't get any hw. tysm!
sodapop
Bracelet King
sodapop
4 months, 3 weeks ago by sodapop
Yes you can use yarn or any type of string! I'd recommend that whatever type you use, make sure all the colors are the same brand/size/thickness so the pattern doesn't warp or become unworkable with uneven rows. I've used a thinner style yarn called Summer Nights by Lion brand and liked it very much. I have photos on #95360 and #15234

If you're using a loose or fluffy yarn, you'd probably want a simple pattern so details won't become blurred. If you want to actually wear it as a bracelet, keep in mind that yarn could possibly double or triple the normal size of using embroidery floss. You can use the search function on the main Patterns page to find patterns with a limited amount of strings or colors. Another option is to make keychains... they look great when thicker and shorter. Even wall hangings would turn out to be a nice bigger size. But all that depends on the actual thickness of yarn, you'll find out with trial and error.

If you haven't made bracelets before, I suggest starting with a normal pattern like a simple chevron #2 or braid #117 to get used to the knots first.
Or a flip-flop bracelet! Scroll through the video tutorials on #1 looking for "Flip-Flop" in the title.
Another really fun, easy and super satisfying beginner-friendly bracelet is a daisy chain. Lots of tutorials on #76616 and it's only 6 strings!

For practice with alphas, try making a rag rug bracelet using scrap or shorter pieces of yarn. It can be with any number of base strings, any colors in any order. Video tutorials on #36730. This kind would be the exception for uniform size strings, I think you could get away with a variety of textures since there's no actual pattern to follow. Just make sure the rows are straight by pushing them upward and level with a ruler or credit card every few rows.

So finally here's some simpler cat alphas that I think would work well with yarn:
#109950 black cat
#29169 meow
#49360 cat w/paw prints
#116964 whiskers
#38016 cat ears w/sparkles
#147574 yin yang paws
chris07
Bracelet King
chris07
4 months, 2 weeks ago by chris07
I use a yarn called embroidery floss
cocobeanz
Skiller
cocobeanz
4 months ago by cocobeanz
When I first started I used yarn to make bookmarks. They were very chunky, but some of this could have been do to lack of experience. But it overall worked! 😄
Vivi_knotz
Bracelet King
Vivi_knotz
4 months ago by Vivi_knotz
🙈 I don’t know what brand I use 😂 but I use embroidery floss from Amazon 😂