How to make an alpha.. im a Beginner im still confused...Help!!
-Maleah-
Bracelet King
-Maleah-
3 years, 3 months ago by -Maleah-
I know there are tutorials out.. but im just still confused
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 3 months ago by halokiwi
Can you say what you are confused about?
For example about how to do the knots, how to switch colours, how to read the patterns etc.
-Maleah-
Bracelet King
-Maleah-
Thanks for responding! Im mostly confused about how to *loop* the normal strings onto the base strings..if that makes sense
-Maleah-
Bracelet King
-Maleah-
And im also confused how to switch colors.
CakeCup
Bracelet King
CakeCup
3 years, 3 months ago by CakeCup
Have you looked at Masha Knots beginner video? I found it really helpful!
mbracel211
Advanced
mbracel211
3 years, 3 months ago by mbracel211
Hi! I’m a bit confused myself so im here asking for help. When you run out of lead string how do you add more? I watched the Masha Knots video but im still a bit confused about that part.
oceanknot
Bracelet King
oceanknot
3 years, 3 months ago by oceanknot
@mbracel211 Here’s a specific video that shows the technique https://youtu.be/JuHDeuDHDlw
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
The leading string gets knotted onto the base strings. You make forward knots in the row from left to right and backwards knots in the row from right to left.

To make a forward knot you take the leading string and lay it over the base string so it makes the shape of a 4. Then you pull the end of the leading string through the hole of the 4 from behind. You need to make this step twice.

A backwards knot is the same but mirrored.

Here is a tutorial explaining the different knot-types:
https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/8_bracelet-knots/

In an alpha you only need forward and backward knots.

I recommend to @ me by putting @ in front of my name like this @halokiwi when replying to me so I get a notification and see your reply
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
There are two different ways you can use to switch colours:

Regular colour switch:
- fold the old leading string behind the bracelet
- take the new leading string and put it into its place and continue knotting with it

Flat alpha colour switch: (this will prevent the bracelet from bumping)
- fold the old leading string up in front of the bracelet
- put the new leading string in its place and make the first half of a knot
- fold the old leading string down over the base string you just knotted on but under the new leading string
- make the second half of the knot with the new leading string, the old leading string should be sandwiched between the base string and the new leading string

The only place where you can't use the flat alpha technique is when you have a colour change right at the edge. In this case you need to do a regular colour switch.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
@mbracel211 when you run out of leading string you can just add a new one the same way you would make a colour switch. Check out my reply above for a description on how to change colours
-Maleah-
Bracelet King
-Maleah-
3 years, 2 months ago by -Maleah-
Thanks so much @halokiwi I have also researched a lot more and watched some more videos. I'm really excited to start making bracelets!]
Ruby321
Bracelet King
Ruby321
3 years, 2 months ago by Ruby321
I watched Masha knots straight alpha on YouTube
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 2 months ago by halokiwi
@-Maleah- that's so nice to hear! I wish you good luck with your first alpha! 😄
cowboys
Bracelet King
cowboys
3 years, 2 months ago by cowboys
I am new to the app and have always watched videos and never read the patterns. How do you read the patterns
-Maleah-
Bracelet King
-Maleah-
@cowboys hi! So basically its just like how you read the normal patterns but just a bit easier if you think about it.
So if you see an arrow going like this:➡️ it's a foward knot (just like a normal foward knot) if you see a knot like this: ⬅️ its a backward knot (just like a normal backward knot) the only times you would use a foward backward knot or a backward knot is on the ends which teh pattern never shows. So when you start a alpha the first this you would do it have a backward foward knot on TOP of the base strings which you will never see and then it will go on to just forward knots. Once you've finished that line you do a foward backward knot and then do the next row of Backward knots. Here is 2 videos that will also help you better understand alphas: Video 1: https://youtu.be/uWJNn077rTc

Video 2:https://youtu.be/mphSyoUdhQw

I hope this helps! Im a begginer too but ive watched the videos and they rlly helped especially if you are a visual learner.. like me!
cowboys
Bracelet King
cowboys
3 years, 2 months ago by cowboys
@-Maleah- thanks so much that helped me out!
-Maleah-
Bracelet King
-Maleah-
@cowboys im so glad I could help! Also you might have to copy and paste to watch the videos since the link didn't take you exactly to the video. 🙂
BrcltsByAp
Skiller
BrcltsByAp
3 years, 2 months ago by BrcltsByAp
ok so how i switch colors is the string i just used goes in the back of the base string “blue” then i bring the next color from the back of my alpha “green” under the blue string then i knot it however many times it needs to be knotted then pull the string “blue” from the back to tighten it and make it flat
horses13
Bracelet King
horses13
3 years, 2 months ago by horses13
Masha Knots has a really good video tutorial