A Suspicious Thread Story…
Macon
Bracelet King
Macon
4 months, 1 week ago by Macon
So one day, early/ mid 2023, I went to Michael’s (of course) and went straight to the thread section (of course) and I was surprised (what?!?!)! Because there on the loops and threads shelf was a new pack of thread. With new, stunning, autumn-y colors. And I, used to the bright, bold colors of loops and threads, thought “oh my god. I need this in my life.” So I bought it (of course) and it sat in my cubby of thread, as I switched hobbies to something else. For almost a year.
Until this week, when my rotation of hobbies came back to the OG. And I thought “I need to stock up on these beautiful colors.” So I saved up my money and looked online and lo and behold there they are! TWO new packs of thread from loops and threads of stunning, muted, beautiful colors. One called “forest” (the one I purchased before) and one called “vintage” (new!!). I checked, and they were available at my local Michael’s.
And so, yet again, I go to Michael’s (of course). And I go straight to the thread section (of course) and I look at the loops and threads packs. But… what’s that? No beautiful, stunning colors? Only bright, bold packs of thread?
But there! Up in the corner! It looks like the “vintage” pack! So I immediately take it off the shelf and hold on for dear life. But where is “forest?” I look at my phone. They have plenty in stock. I look at the shelf. I see one that looks unfamiliar, but it’s barely looks like the picture on the Michael’s website. So, I look for an employee to help me.
She looks at the listing on the Michael’s website. And picks that bright, bold pack of thread off the shelf. She reads off the item number, and asks if it matches the one on the website. And to my utter dismay, it does.
But I don’t think too hard. I put my phone away. I happily take the pack of thread the nice worker hands to me. And I checkout.
Back at home, I pull out my shiny new storage container I got for my thread. And I get to organizing all of my thread. I put the new packs of “vintage” and “forest” aside. I take out the old pack of “forest.” And one by one, I sort all of my thread into color family.
But then I pull out the new pack of “forest.” And I put out a very pastel but bright blue. And I think, “hmmm. That wasn’t in the original pack of ‘forest.’” And I look again. “Huh. Those greens are not nearly as muted and mossy as the other ‘forest’ pack.” But I shrug, and put the rest of the thread away.
Later, as I’m lying in bed, I think about this pastel but bright blue, these not-nearly-as-mossy greens. And how no color like them was included in the original pack of “forest” that I got last year.
So I resort back to the listing of “forest” on the Michael’s website, thinking the worst. I scroll down to the reviews. Most are 5 stars, no problems, “this thread is the best!” But then I see two reviews. One says, “different colors! The colors in this pack are different from the ones I got of the same pack a last year!” And the other says, “the colors are different than the ones pictured.” Neither of these reviews are verified, which to me means they got the thread in person, rather than online, like me.
So now I’m saving my money. I’m going to purchase these “forest” and “vintage” packs, online this time. Paying $20, half in shipping, half in actual thread. Doing a little science experiment.
And here I am. Posting on this site full of embroidery thread users, hoping someone, anyone, has had a similar experience.
Thank you for reading this long post. This story is actually non fiction and did happen to me in real life (!!).