Earthquakes
emilyyy307
Bracelet King
emilyyy307
1 month ago by emilyyy307
We had a unit on this in science but I don’t get the best grades in science so. Anyone know about the earthquake in the northeast today?? I’m really confused on how it happened the plate boundaries are so far. Also prayers for Taiwan
fluffdoggy
Advanced
fluffdoggy
1 month ago by fluffdoggy
lol I had a unit in science too. What happened is the two plates drifted together and one got shoved under the other so the shaking of an earthquake is like the pressure being released I believe.
emilyyy307
Bracelet King
emilyyy307
1 month ago by emilyyy307
@fluffdoggy Yeah that didn't make much sense to me because there are no boundaries near the northeast
fluffdoggy
Advanced
fluffdoggy
4 weeks, 1 day ago by fluffdoggy
Oh I see that now. I’ll ask my science teacher 😂
rics_girl3
Skiller
rics_girl3
4 weeks ago by rics_girl3
Basically, we have a fault line in Tewksbury. That line of 2 tectonic plates is able to move, as any plate can. Why can they move? Because they are literally “floating” on the second layer of the earth; they’re floating on magma. So, since they can move as they are floating, when they move it’s not pretty because each plate fits together perfectly, as we see no open lakes of lava. So when the plates try to move they touch and force each other in opposite directions, making the rest of the plate jolt and creates the earthquake. Hope this helps 🧡
emilyyy307
Bracelet King
emilyyy307
4 weeks ago by emilyyy307
@rics_girl Yes that makes so much more sense! Thank youuu
emilyyy307
Bracelet King
emilyyy307
4 weeks ago by emilyyy307
@rics_girl3 look up
rics_girl3
Skiller
rics_girl3
4 weeks ago by rics_girl3
No problem happy to help 🫶🏾
xc2024
Professional
xc2024
3 weeks, 5 days ago by xc2024
thered also old fault lines that sometimes get reactiviated and we dont know about them until they do, the earthquake on ghd east coast was probably due to the ramapo fault line, which if i remember correctly is not actually splitting the north american plate, its just a crack in the plate so when the plate moves and stuff it causes smaller earthquakes