Dyslexia Affects Knotting?
KindaCrazy
Professional
KindaCrazy
3 years, 1 month ago by KindaCrazy
I'll apologize in advanced for any typos that might show up in this tonight.... I'm relying 100% on auto correct right now, but, here gos-

So I'm dyslexic... Today I'm extremely dyslexic (my physics text book looks like an ugly key smash and I'm gonna fail chemistry at this point, but that aside...), and I think it's because of that that I will frequently misread patterns... Earlier today, I had to pull out and start over with a triangle start because I put the strings in the wrong place... It took over two hours to just get the string where they were supposed to be, and I'm still hardly started filling in the insides yet...

There's also instances where a pattern will look completely different once I click on it than before I click on it and stuff like that... But usually that'd just that I clicked on the wrong one (even if I could have *sworn* it was the right ome...)

I just wanted to rant a little bit about that, but I also wanted to ask if I'm alone in this or if other people also experience similar struggles with this? Like... Am I the only one whose dyslexia affects their day to day lives and things it's not typically associated with?
LoveAlphas
Professional
LoveAlphas
3 years, 1 month ago by LoveAlphas
@KindCrazy I have not been diagnosed with dyslexia, but I experience trouble with letters being all mixed and I also experience the same with bracelet patterns. Usually I have to watch video tutorials to understand how to make a bracelets.
LoveAlphas
Professional
LoveAlphas
@KindaCrazy I tagged your name wrong
LoveAlphas
Professional
LoveAlphas
And to help with writing and typing on a computer I use voice typing.
KindaCrazy
Professional
KindaCrazy
@LoveAlphas I'm not diagnosed either... But we're trying to get one right now because it's getting to the point it's severely impacting my school work, but that aside... Most days I'm not too terribly dyslexic, probably on the mild end of moderate, but every once in awhile, I'll get a really bad day... And then there doesn't seem to be any help for me. Basically, usually I can read the patterns if I look at them row-by-row (though I still usually end up segment knotting after an iteration or two), but yesterday I just couldn't with it... Like the first side, I did the first half of perfectly, but then it got all mess up and I was three strings from the end when I noticed (it's a big bracelet... Like 38 stings, I think), so I had to pull out a ton on that side, then on the other side, I kept messing up the first three strings, skip one, fix it, then skip the next one, and repeat... It was super annoying.

Usually I can type just fine (I'm sure my writing has helped with that...), too, so I never thought to use voice typing before, but that could work really nicely when I can't type 🤔 🤔 🤔
GenMalucci
Bracelet King
GenMalucci
3 years, 1 month ago by GenMalucci
Let me ask a friend who is dyslexic. I personally mis-read things because I get distracted but your symptoms kind of show dyslexia. I highly advise getting checked out. School work (as annoying and time consuming as it is) is not something to mess around with. Please get checked out with a good doctor. As for reading patterns that probably just plays in with dyslexia. As I said, I don’t have it so I’m not sure. Reading patterns (especially normals) can be hard with dyslexia, so let me ask my friend and I’ll see what she says
KindaCrazy
Professional
KindaCrazy
@GenMalucci Yeah, we've expected I had a little bit of dyslexia since kindergarten, but it was never enough to worry about... But since I started high school (currently in junior year), it's gotten a lot worse... So now we're trying to get it checked out, but I live in a tiny area, and the only way to do it is through the school... Which drags their feet an awful lot.
Deer-Teeth
Bracelet King
Deer-Teeth
3 years, 1 month ago by Deer-Teeth
hi there! i understand where this confusion comes from, even if one isn't dyslexic if you stare at a pattern for too long things can get jumbled (happens to me about 20 minutes in and i end up abandoning the bracelet)

one thing that might help is taking a dry erase marker to your screen (if you have a tablet or computer, i have computer) and keep track of where i'm at by blocking off the parts i dont need to focus on, and when i get confused on the knots i click on them and they show how the string lies to make the knot ou need. so if you get confused, you can double check your work by seeing which way the string lies so you're not relying on symbols but representation which should help a lot