College tips? help?
Scavenged
Professional
Scavenged
3 years, 1 month ago by Scavenged
I just signed up for my college classes yesterday, and i'll be starting august 23rd in the fall! but my school is terrible at preparing me for the transition so i was wondering if any of you had tips for me to help me transition into college i would really appreciate it, even if you've never been or are going to in the future tips are always helpful no matter what lol
Jdog12525
Bracelet King
Jdog12525
3 years, 1 month ago by Jdog12525
I’m starting college too! Unfortunately I’m just as stressed as you are. I’m majoring in graphic design. What are you majoring in?
Scavenged
Professional
Scavenged
3 years, 1 month ago by Scavenged
@Jdog12525 psychology, and i've heard thats one of the hardest professions to go into with how hard some of the work is. I know i'm going in this profession for a reason but it doesn't make it any less scary lol
hummusboi
Professional
hummusboi
3 years, 1 month ago by hummusboi
i'm a high school senior but i've taken two college classes so i feel like i might be able to give you a few tips. first off, apply for scholarships. apply for as many as you can! there are some that you don't need to write essays for, so you could try some of those. apply for financial aid. if you haven't done this already, do it now!! i also recommend taking a tour of the college campus you will be attending, some colleges offer virtual tours! when school starts, make sure that you have a planner of some sort, my planner has kept me on track for the entirety of this year. take a ton of notes during lectures and if you have questions, you should email your professor or go to their office hours. don't be afraid to ask questions, your professors are there to help you. try to make some friends too! if you sit next to someone in lecture, exchange phone numbers so you guys can ask each other questions or study. also, if you can, get a job. try to save some money to pay for textbooks and tuition. speaking of textbooks, try not to buy new books because they can be really expensive! my anatomy and physiology textbook was $400 for a new one, and $200 for a used one. if your parents or a friend went to college, you can also ask them some questions to help you transition. i hope this helped.
janine09
Bracelet King
janine09
3 years, 1 month ago by janine09
I just graduated college last year and somethings that helped me survive are:

Having both a planner and a dry erase calendar that I hung on my wall. All your syllabi will have the course / class schedule for the whole semester so you could write down all important due dates and assignments in your planner for the whole semester. On the dry erase calendar I wrote down all the assignments and due dates for that month, so I could just look up and see what was due that month instead of having to keep opening my planner. I also liked to color coordinate everything and gave each class a certain color, so that may also be helps as well as very nice to look at. Idk if that really made sense so lmk if you need some clarification 😂

Make friends with people in your classes. If you're lucky enough there will be people who are in more than one of your classes, and if they are try to make friends with them and start a study group. Also that way, you can ask them questions about more than one class.

NAPS!!! Take naps if you need to. It's honestly what gets a lot of kids through college. Sometimes you just gotta take that nap to refresh yourself before class, or before studying for an exam.

Take advantage of the free resources. Take advantage of the gym, pool, and other recreational things that comes with your enrollment there. They're free so may as well take advantage of that and relieve some stress. Also they may have some free student events, so go to those with your friends (or alone if you prefer), get some free food and have fun!

Most importantly though, don't forget to take a break every hour or so from assignments. Take a walk outside, go to the gym, watch a video, work on a bracelet or alpha. No matter what it is, just do something fun to take your mind off of your assignment for a little while you so you can refocus and not burn yourself out 😊

Good luck and I hope these help!
GenMalucci
Bracelet King
GenMalucci
3 years, 1 month ago by GenMalucci
But used books! The textbooks are super expensive sometimes and the used ones are just as good just a bit rough. Planning out your first couple months ahead of time is always a plus! You will feel less stressed at the end of the day because you have what you need to survive. Use this summer to prepare. Slowly gather everything you need so you don’t face the “life or death” week where you don’t have anything done and school starts in a few days. I always find it such a good idea to get bins and put labels on them. I make my own sticker/labels to put on them cause I’m cheap. But with the labels everything is easy to find and the bins are easy to store. Another thing is have a good friend, make a really good friend and they will definitely help you! Studying can be hard and having a friend always takes a bit of the weight off.
GenMalucci
Bracelet King
GenMalucci
Buy used books*
GenMalucci
Bracelet King
GenMalucci
Oh and takes tons of notes, they will help in the long run when you have something due and can’t remember a vital/needed part of the course. It helps and I have never gone back