I can't figure out how to design normal patterns
Sevymama3
Skiller
Sevymama3
3 months ago by Sevymama3
I've been struggling for days and hours trying to figure out how to make a normal bracelet. Omgosh...I'm a professional graphic designer and know all the design programs but can't figure this out. 😄 I made an alpha just fine but I really think it would be more interesting as a normal pattern.
I've looked everywhere on this site, YouTube and online. No videos that explain how the program works. Maybe I can't grasp the "science" of it?
The problem I'm having is getting the top with just blue, and bringing the colors to the middle.
Can someone please make it? It's just a repeating firefly with a glowy flower and purple edges.
The alpha is in my alpha folder.
Thanks!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 months ago by halokiwi
I can't find the alpha pattern you are talking about. You have only posted variations so far, but no own patterns.
I recommend to either post the alpha pattern so others can see it or to set the alpha pattern as your profile picture temporaily.

To get started with normal patterns, I recommend
to start by drawing them on graph paper first https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/34_designing-normal-patterns/
or to start by just playing around with the interactive normal generator

Both should help you understand the structure of normal patterns better. What you want to do might not be possible.
Normals are a lot more limited than alphas. In alphas any knot can have any colour, but in normals you only have a limited amount of options.

Here is how the interactive normal generator works:
- select a colour you want to use by clicking on 'using color' or one of the colours in 'colors used' -> click at the beginning or end of the string you want to change to that colour
- click plus or minus to add or remove strings or rows
- click on the individual knots to change the knot type
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 months ago by halokiwi
Ok, I just saw the pattern now. You only need to fix some of the keywords, then it's good to go 😄

I think I can now imagine better what you want
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 months ago by halokiwi
I made a pattern #164934

Let me know, if this is what you imagined or if you want something to be different.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 months ago by halokiwi
I also made this pattern recently #162844

Adding a border while tying the pattern should be easy
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 months ago by halokiwi
I forgot that you wanted a firefly
So here it is #164952
Sevymama3
Skiller
Sevymama3
2 months, 4 weeks ago by Sevymama3
Omg!!! Thanks so much! I'll twerk the colors a bit!! Woot!
Sevymama3
Skiller
Sevymama3
I really appreciate what you did. Maybe I'm OCD, lol...the body is supposed to be flowing and the wings are supposed to be black/brown.
I'm having a hard time tweeking it
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
2 months, 4 weeks ago by halokiwi
Could you maybe set an image of how you want it as your profile picture? You can draw it in "draw alpha", but draw it diagonally, so it matches the structure of a normal pattern.

I'm so sorry I triggered your ocd :/ I hope you're not feeling too upset.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
2 months, 4 weeks ago by halokiwi
I also made this pattern which I forgot to tell you about: #164971
Sevymama3
Skiller
Sevymama3
😁 I changed my avatar. Is something like this I'm as an alpha? Or should I make it longer?
RyanMarieS
Bracelet King
RyanMarieS
2 months, 4 weeks ago by RyanMarieS
@Sevymama3 I usually like my alpha bracelets around 70 rows so I would try making yours around that length but if you want it as a longer keychain, then the length you have right now should work!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
2 months, 3 weeks ago by halokiwi
In order for me to get a notification about your reply, you have to tag me like this @halokiwi

Could you maybe draw something similar but 45 degrees rotated? This way it would have the right orientation when making it a normal pattern.
I can also try to figure it out myself.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
2 months, 3 weeks ago by halokiwi
This should hopefully match what you are looking for better #165183