Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Made My First Alpha
Moosey
Bracelet King
Moosey
3 years, 10 months ago by Moosey
Hello hello! This thread is for anyone that is looking for tips/bits of info on starting alphas. I am by no means an expert so do not take my words as the Holy Bible of making alphas or anything like that. These are just things I wish I had known.

1.) Do NOT start out with a super big alpha. My first alpha was #42535 and I thankfully made it look decent. HOWEVER! I would absolutely not recommend doing a giant alpha like that first. Choose an alpha that has like 12 or less base strings and 4 or less colors. Additionally, I would not recommend one that has lots of color changes one knot after another.
2.) Your first alpha will probably take a long time. It's a learning process. My first alpha took me roughly eight hours (again, do not do a large pattern. I beg you.) and for some reason I thought it would be quicker? Just expect your first alpha to be a little time consuming as you learn the color switching technique.
3.) When doing the flat alpha technique (which is the technique I use and recommend) do NOT pull the strings in back too tight. When you switch colors, make sure you leave plenty of slack on the string you're bringing in. For example, if you are doing an alpha and you have not used brown for a few rows make the first half of the brown knot pretty loose to allow the string in back to do it's thing and truly lay flat. You can make the second half of the knot as tight as you normally do. On my first alpha there are a few spots on it that are bunched up even though I was using the flat alpha technique simply because I pulled the string in back too tight.
4.) Use crochet thread for base strings. For the longest time I didn't want to make alphas because I knew it would eat up the amount of thread I had because I would use embroidery thread as base strings. Now I am not saying that using embroidery thread for base strings is bad. If you want to do it you go girl. I however do not and learned from a video by @innovate that you can use Aunt Lydias crochet thread size 3 for base strings. I like using the crochet thread because it makes your alphas nice and sturdy.
5.) Make sure you have enough thread. Alphas take a lot of string! Specifically when it comes to your background thread, make sure you have lots. Especially as you get into bigger patterns or you make two-sided keychains.
6.) You can use multicolored thread for background thread! Yes! I didn't even think about this until I saw someone else do it. Multicolored thread can add a really cool effect to your alpha. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I am almost intimidated by multicolored thread because 9 times out of 10 I don't know what to do with it. But you can absolutely use it for alphas!
7.) Use thread that is all the same brand!!! This is so important so that your alphas don't get bunchy in places! It is not the end of the world if you use two different brands, just be absolutely sure that the threads are the same size or you'll be sad.

Thats pretty much all I can think of right now. If you have made lots of alphas leave other tips I didn't mention in the post. We all learn differently and learn at different rates so I am interested to see if this was helpful for anyone or if I just rambled for no reason haha. Happy knotting everyone!
yaytoast29
Bracelet King
yaytoast29
3 years, 10 months ago by yaytoast29
Some things to add: you can use the whole skein of string when you’re knotting. I would recommend a small pattern with ONLY 2 colors. It will help you get the feel for switching colors! And another thing that’s really helpful, is to have a border on your first alpha! I’d recommend a little heart or something. It’s cute, easy, one color, can be any size, and has a border!! Good luck with your first alphas!!!
Moosey
Bracelet King
Moosey
3 years, 10 months ago by Moosey
@yaytoast29 absolutely! Thank you for your input! #6037 or anything similar is a great pattern to start off with. You could even add two base strings on the sides as background color to make the color switch easier! It's all about what you feel comfortable with.
jvdel
Professional
jvdel
3 years, 9 months ago by jvdel
DEFINITELY needed this, thank you!!
bsoftball
Bracelet King
bsoftball
3 years, 9 months ago by bsoftball
https://www.braceletbook.com/photos/?added-by=Moosey

Is this the first alpha you're talking about?
If it is... it looks AMAZING!
syd643
Professional
syd643
3 years, 9 months ago by syd643
That there is a difference between alphas and 1212 patterns and that alphas go left to right while 1212 patterns do not
firstknots
Bracelet King
firstknots
3 years, 9 months ago by firstknots
I am currently working on my second ever alpha and this is so helpful, in general, thank youu!
grcleven
Bracelet King
grcleven
3 years, 9 months ago by grcleven
This is great, thanks!!
crazz1
Bracelet King
crazz1
3 years, 9 months ago by crazz1
Thank you so much! This was very helpful
ks_wizard
Bracelet King
ks_wizard
3 years, 8 months ago by ks_wizard
Just to add:
I recommend using the straight edge technique. Especially if you have to add a colour along the edge. I didn’t use the straight edge technique and I had strings sticking out the side. When I look at it now, I cringe so bad. 😫
ananya123
Bracelet King
ananya123
3 years, 8 months ago by ananya123
@ks_wizard omg yesss! when i look at the bracelets that i didnt use the straight edge method! ugh i cringe too! 😂
stewon6969
Bracelet King
stewon6969
3 years, 8 months ago by stewon6969
That there was a such thing as the straight edges technique! 😂
JJbracklet
Bracelet King
JJbracklet
3 years, 8 months ago by JJbracklet
Also, instead of multi coloured string, you can use scraps of string! That way you can choose how fast your colours change, and what colours you want! (Plus you use up some of those scraps)