loop from 17 strings
wavy_peach
Professional
wavy_peach
3 years, 11 months ago by wavy_peach
i was gonna make an alpha pattern (#29780) and i was thinking of doing a simple loop, but there's an uneven number of strings. how would i solve this problem?
Shelly2121
Bracelet King
Shelly2121
3 years, 11 months ago by Shelly2121
Sorry, but you need an even amount of strings to make a loop. Since yor folding your strings in half, your doubling it so one becomes two and two becomes four.
If you made a loop with an unven of strings there would be an extra string, and if you cut that string close to the loop, it might remove it self from the loop, go to the other half, and overall, its hard to deal with, so just do ties
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 11 months ago by halokiwi
No problem, unlike popular believes it is possible to make loops with an uneven amount of thread. There are even two ways (that I know of)

Way 1: split a string in half so it's only half the thickness. Use 8 regular strings and the halfed string to make your loop. After the loop you treat both sides of the halfed string as just one string.

Way 2: use the end of your leading string as the 17th string. Use 8 strings for your loop. Include the end of the leading string in your loop to make it the 17th base string.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 11 months ago by halokiwi
@Shelly2121 there's a solution. Look at my comment above.
amaze
Skiller
amaze
3 years, 11 months ago by amaze
you make a loop from 16 strings and add in an extra and knot right over it.
bearcat01
Professional
bearcat01
3 years, 11 months ago by bearcat01
@Shelly2121 and @wavy_peach actually you cut the single string double the length it needs to be. Then you take some strands out of the whole prince (about half of them) since embroidery floss is made up of multiple strands. This long string can then be folded in half (like the other strings) and then just know on both the halves like it is one string so it will then be the correct thickness
Shelly2121
Bracelet King
Shelly2121
3 years, 11 months ago by Shelly2121
Oh okay! So sorry about that! 😊
wavy_peach
Professional
wavy_peach
3 years, 11 months ago by wavy_peach
thank you for all your responses!