Alpha pattern looks stretched out
acentala
Advanced
acentala
10 years, 5 months ago by acentala
So I've been having a problem with my alpha patterns looking like they've been stretched out. I know it's because my knots aren't as fat as they are tall (does that make sense?) and I'm trying to figure out how to even them up. I don't want to make something and have it look warped or messy. Any suggestions?
SBilbrey
Bracelet King
SBilbrey
10 years, 5 months ago by SBilbrey
A lot of bracelet makers will tell you that pushing a knot into place is a big no-no, and I just don't find that to be the case. I had a very similar problem when I started tying alphas. First thing that will help that: even when you're tying a simple 2 color alpha, use the knotter-string substitution method. That will keep every knot in a row going the same direction. For some reason, my backward knots are a lot smaller than my forward knots, and that made my 2-color alphas look so weird. But then I tried the substitution method and stuff looked a lot more uniform. If you're still having issues while using the substitution method, try gently nudging the knot into place. After I tie a knot, if it's not exactly where I want it to be, I'll use my thumb nail to very gently push the new knot up against the previous row. It kind of smooshes the knot too; making them a little more round and fat, and a lot less tall and long. It again makes things look more uniform. Just remember not to tie a knot too tight! Too tight, and you won't be able to move it or smoosh it, and it will REALLY mess up the flow of your bracelet! Those are some of the things that worked for me, and really seemed to solve that problem. Hope it works for you!
zzzooe
Bracelet King
zzzooe
10 years, 1 month ago by zzzooe
Oh that is a great tip
Fliparz
Bracelet King
Fliparz
9 years, 7 months ago by Fliparz
What's the knotter string substitution method? I have the same alpha problem, too. Do you mean to 'weave' the strings like in a 3-color or more alpha?
SBilbrey
Bracelet King
SBilbrey
9 years, 7 months ago by SBilbrey
@Fliparz, yeah, it's kinda like weaving, but you're still tying knots. Check out the tutorial section. There's a tutorial for tying multi-colored (3 or more colors) alphas. The substitution method will be covered in that tutorial. If you've tied a multi-colored alpha before, you're good to go. It's how I tie all my alphas, even the 2 color alphas, because the final look is so much neater.