alpha keychains
babymilk
Professional
babymilk
4 years, 1 month ago by babymilk
I wanted to make an alpha keychain and switch it up but I was just wondering how long would I make the strings?
Someone_
Bracelet King
Someone_
4 years, 1 month ago by Someone_
If you were doing a double-sided keychain about 35-45cm is generally enough for the base strings, with a little extra for the small ties at the end (if that's your preferred style).
If you're not doing it double-sided you could make the base strings slightly shorter than that.
RyleeBuck
Advanced
RyleeBuck
4 years ago by RyleeBuck
Does anyone know how to attach it to the key ring? I want to make one but I don’t know how.
arf820
arf820
4 years ago by arf820
@RyleeBuck masha knots has a great tutorial on how to attach key rings to alphas! she gives two ways, one of which you weave the key ring in and the other where you tie larks head knots with the base strings onto the key ring. another way is to make a loop and put the key ring through the loop if that makes sense.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4 years ago by halokiwi
How long you should make your basestrings depends on how many rows are in a pattern and how big your knots are. You could make a little piece with similar material and measure how long a certain amount of rows is. Then you can calculate how long all of the rows in your pattern are. You need some extra for the ties and for the loop. If you do a double sided keychain you need to make them twice as long.
RyleeBuck
Advanced
RyleeBuck
4 years ago by RyleeBuck
@arf820 thanks!
friutcake
Advanced
friutcake
4 years ago by friutcake
How do you make a double sided alpha for a keychain?
juliamargr
Skiller
juliamargr
4 years ago by juliamargr
Another way to make an alpha on a key chain that I personally like is to make it like you normally would with a loop at the top (you can follow the Masha knots tutorial if you don't know how), but simply putting the bracelet around the key ring before connecting both halves of the loop. This makes it so that the bracelet can move more freely around the ring and you have more space to put other things if you want to. As for how long the strings should be, like others on the forum have said, it depends on how long the pattern is. What I have done in the past is take another one of my alphas, where I know how many knots long the pattern is and measure it with a ruler. I then just use this as a guide and apply it to how long the next pattern I'm working on is, always adding a little more for ties and for security. I hope this helps!! ❤️