Best alternative to taping your bracelets to the table?
aceofseas
Professional
aceofseas
3 weeks, 6 days ago by aceofseas
What is the best alternative to taping bracelets to a table? I apparently pull to hard, and I find it really difficult not to yank the bracelet out in a few knots. I think my problem is not only the tension but that I'm used to moving the bracelet around a lot, so taping it down feels really annoying.
I started knotting as a kid, I would leave a loop of string at the beginning and then put it around my toe (I used to make bracelets in summer camps only) so that made me used to have a lot of movement. Then when I started knotting more often when I didn't wear sandals I had to learn a way to knot without holding them down anywhere, so the way I'm most used to knotting is this weird system where I just use my hands to knot, but I need to have different positions for forward knots and backward knots, so I feel it ends up making me go really slow. I've been trying to get used to actually using both hands to knot when I'm home, but that means I need a reliable way to tape them down that won't go loose every 3 knots.
So far I've tried taping to the table, which doesn't really let me knot comfortably, and using one of those big paper clips to secure them to a notebook, which actually feels kind of nice but I don't really like how it deforms my bracelets and gives them awkward shapes...
Idk, I'm kinda stumped for ideas. I had thought of a clipboard like many ppl use, but I feel like that would give me the same problems? Aaghgghhh I need help please
(Also I kinda need it to be easy to put on and remove bc since I knot like that I bring my bracelets everywhere like just. spend the entire way to uni knotting, etc)
(tips on how to use the paper clip method better are also rlly useful bc it kinda works already? Idk it's not perfect but I feel like I could get used to it if the bracelets turned out nice)
ningc98
Bracelet King
ningc98
3 weeks, 6 days ago by ningc98
i use a clip board, but i dont use the clip on the clip board. i turn it upside down and use a different clip to clip my bracelet onto the board. then when i get pretty far down, i adjust the bracelet so that it’s further down and draping across the back of the board. idk if that makes sense sorry
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 weeks, 6 days ago by halokiwi
like @ningc98 I also use a clip-board. Usually I use a binder clip on the clip-board and don't actually use the clip of the clip-board. A binder clip can also easily be attached to other things like a book, so it is very useful when you are on the go.
pippa_d
Professional
pippa_d
3 weeks, 6 days ago by pippa_d
Clipboards (heavy duty if you pull hard!) or when I first started for bracelets/smaller keyrings I used to use a safety pin to pin them to my jeans leg! That helped when making them in the car etc aha
kpn
Bracelet King
kpn
3 weeks, 6 days ago by kpn
this may sound a bit silly, but i push the big knot that keeps all the strings together into the headphone jack spot on my ipad case. it stays in easily, doesn't hurt my back, and I can check the pattern without printing it. Plus you can pull as hard as you need and it stays in
leviOsa_09
Bracelet King
leviOsa_09
3 weeks, 6 days ago by leviOsa_09
i use a binder clip on the edge of the table, then flip the bracelet over it if it’s long enough, or onto my flute case!
emmaleeigh
Skiller
emmaleeigh
3 weeks, 5 days ago by emmaleeigh
when I’m at home I’ll use a clipboard, but if I’m out and I’m wearing jeans or any long pants, I like to use around 1-2 safety pins and kid of attach the bracelet to me through the tiny holes in between a knot. If I need two pins the I do it on both the left and right side to make it stable!
xc2024
Professional
xc2024
3 weeks ago by xc2024
saftey pin to my jeans
kgoldstone
Skiller
kgoldstone
2 weeks, 6 days ago by kgoldstone
I use a small lap desk, I love it because it’s flat and spacious but also had the elevated leg rest pillows
fishyknots
Bracelet King
fishyknots
2 weeks, 6 days ago by fishyknots
I use a clipboard. If I’m going somewhere and don’t have room, I take a small hardcover notebook and use a large binder clip to attach it and it works great
_vuroee
Professional
_vuroee
2 weeks, 5 days ago by _vuroee
I used to make the bracelet beginning loop taped down and then I had a clipboard with a keychain on it, I put the loop on the keychain and could knot. Bracelets always turned out alr but it does move with every knot. Now i just tape it down on a clipboard.
Lluii
Advanced
Lluii
2 weeks, 5 days ago by Lluii
I usually make the bracelet loop and use a needle safety pin to pin it down on either a pillow or my own jeans, it works pretty well I think
goregirl
Skiller
goregirl
2 weeks, 4 days ago by goregirl
I use a clip board, you can also use a binder clip. Another thing I used to do if I didn’t have a clip board was make sure I started the bracelet with a loop, then use a safety pin and anchor it to my clothes LOL.
emp217
Skiller
emp217
2 weeks, 1 day ago by emp217
When working on a table I use a pot filled with water because I don't like tapes, they fray out my embroidery floss.
green_girl
Advanced
green_girl
1 week, 2 days ago by green_girl
sometimes i’ll use a clipboard, but my favorite method is tying the loop at the beginning of my bracelet to the handle of my water bottle, it doesn’t move and i can take it anywhere
redsphinx
Advanced
redsphinx
6 days, 18 hours ago by redsphinx
clip board is the best but what I use most is a small embroidery hoop! it holds the bracelet tight and you can hold it between your legs so you can tie anywhere
XoniIou
Professional
XoniIou
6 days, 3 hours ago by XoniIou
I really like putting mine on the handle of my water bottle with a mini rubber band, holds it well and convenient to take with me!
stewon6969
Bracelet King
stewon6969
5 days, 16 hours ago by stewon6969
I use a clip board! You could also use a box that holds your string if it has a snap lid. You just put the bracelet into the lid and close it!