Time: be more efficient
Linarite
Skiller
Linarite
1 month, 2 weeks ago by Linarite
Hello everybody😊,

I would like to know how to make an alpha quickly, be more efficient and spend less time?

For example, it took me approximately 4 hours to make the hummingbird.

And how long does it take you on average to make the alphas?

(I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, & my English.. is bad.)
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 month, 2 weeks ago by halokiwi
Do you know the pattern number of the hummingbird pattern?

Alphas can vary a lot in size. Larger alphas will take longer than smaller alphas.
Alphas with more colour switches will also take longer than alphas with less colour switches.

To be faster when tying alphas, I recommend trying to be as organized as possible.
Find a system for managing the unused leading strings that makes it easy to access the colour you need fast and that avoids tangling.

Keep the leading strings on bobbins, so you can easily pull the end of the leading string through when making the knots. Alternatively you can work with short leading strings.

Hold multiple base strings in one hand and keep tension on them, so you can hold the leading string you are using in your other hand and make the knots more quickly.
Linarite
Skiller
Linarite
The pattern number of the hummingbird is #118472. ( https://www.braceletbook.com/patterns/alpha/118472/ )

I try as much as possible to hide the wires to have a clean result (clean back alpha) but I am not organized enough.

Thanks for the tips. 😊
AlmaLlama
Bracelet King
AlmaLlama
1 month, 2 weeks ago by AlmaLlama
Try to be consistent. But practice is the key, so don't worry, the more you'll practice the quicker it will become. But yes, alphas usually take longer than normals to make.
SmileSnake
Bracelet King
SmileSnake
1 month, 2 weeks ago by SmileSnake
Sometimes making the loop/ending and cutting the strings takes a lot of time. I know, for me, alpha triangles with the base strings take a lot of time. But like what the others have said, practice really helps making alphas faster.
Linarite
Skiller
Linarite
Thanks for your answer. 😊
I have to practice more to be more efficient.
Kayla517
Professional
Kayla517
1 month, 2 weeks ago by Kayla517
I feel like it’s totally normal for it to take time. I’d say to do a little bit everyday. One trick I did randomly learn is if you don’t have any bobbins is to fold the skien with a rubber hair elastic that way you will have a grip and won’t have to weave in another string unless the skien runs out, if that makes sense.
emp217
Skiller
emp217
1 month ago by emp217
I have seen this on youtube, but I have been wondering how to hold several base strings in one hand. I use a finger to help pull through the leading string, so I don't know how to manage more than one base string on one hand. 🙈 😭 😂
Another video says NOT to put the string on bobbins. Don't know, maybe it depends. I think I am faster when I just can pull through the string without a bobbin. With alphas i prefer to use bobbins and longer threads, because if I have them on a bobbin I will have less (almost none) cat hair on them. Of course, only with cat hair it is really good 😍, but without it looks more professional. 😇