Where to get string and the top wooden part? (Friendship bracelet wall hanging)
multiestar
Professional
multiestar
2ย months, 3ย weeks ago by multiestar
I'm about to start a massive alpha bracelet wall hanging soon and I still haven't figured a few things out

Where do I get the wooden thing on the top of alpha wall hangings to hold the strings

Is they're any ways to get a lots of strings of a certain color (if there's big rolls of embroidery floss of a certain color) or I'd have to use multiple small packs of a certain color
itaadastra
Advanced
itaadastra
2ย months, 3ย weeks ago by itaadastra
when i do the wall hangings, i use wooden dowels off of amazon ๐Ÿ˜„
EggMan
Bracelet King
EggMan
2ย months, 3ย weeks ago by EggMan
Unfortunately, embroidery floss only comes in the small 8 meter packs. You could try substituting the base strings with doubled or tripled perle cotton thread, which comes in longer spools. If you wish to do that, I highly recommend making a smaller test piece to make sure you're using the right amount of threads per base strings. Pick any tiny alpha pattern, or just make a small, square. Just make sure the thread you're using as the leading string is the same as you will use for the wall-hanging. Change the amount of threads per base-string until you are satisfied with the results.

Alternatively, you can abandon the embroidery thread all together, and use something like thin cotton yarn. Yarn comes in much longer skeins, and is significantly thicker than embroidery floss, but it's also significantly less shiny. It's my personal favorite, though, when making non-bracelet alphas, as I find the thicker thread easier to manage and organize, and I like that the creation ends up bigger and more pronounced. Aim for yarn sizes of 1, 2, or 3, but ultimately buy whatever you like best. Try having all the yarn be from the same company and line, as different threads can have slightly different properties, like thickness and "squish" level.

If you want to see examples of alphas made with these materials, there are a few pictures on my page. When you go to "show all" you'll see the first two pics are of little frog brooches. The first was made with single perle cotton threads as base strings, and embroidery floss as the leading string (you can see why I recommended doubling the base), and the second was made with cotton yarn.

In regard to the dowels, the comment above me is correct; there are definitely dowels on Amazon. I know that some craft stores also carry them, so try looking around.

I hope this comment can help. Good luck on your wall-hanging! I hope you have a lot of fun knotting it :^D