〰️Thread types used to knot. Embroidery, crochet, etc.〰️
UVPickle
Professional
UVPickle
6 months ago by UVPickle
I'm curious about the crochet threads compared to the embroidery threads (or any other threads you may use). You can buy large spools of the crochet threads and thought it would be nice to buy more in bulk. But what size? What kind of thread do you use? Is there something else that people use as well? I've seen videos where they use a touch of flame to melt the ends, that's clearly not a cotton thread, maybe something nylon? I'd like to test a few varieties but am unsure where to start!

I have found these articles but have become overwhelmed by information! 🤪

https://www.needlenthread.com/2014/02/thread-talk-sizing-up-cotton-threads.html

https://www.needlenthread.com/2008/07/thread-comparison-cotton-embroidery.html

I noticed @ekamy has spools in some of her photos. Are they crocheting threads? What size? BYW your bracelets are perfection!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
6 months ago by halokiwi
I have two balls of dmc petra size 5 in the colours black and white because those are the colours that I run out of fastest. It's crochet yarn. It feels different from the embroidery floss I otherwise use (not as nice), but it has about the same size as the embroidery floss I use.
UVPickle
Professional
UVPickle
6 months ago by UVPickle
@halokiwi have you used it with your DMC threads? You say it feels different, is it obvious you're using different threads in your finished bracelets? Meaning is the appearance good enough to mix and match with other threads?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
6 months ago by halokiwi
I have only used it in combination with dmc threadship, but not in combination with regular dmc embroidery floss.

I think it's noticeable, from feel and a little from look, but for me the difference is small enough.

You could buy one ball of crochet thread and if you don't like how it looks in combination, you can still use it as base strings.
UVPickle
Professional
UVPickle
6 months ago by UVPickle
That is super helpful! Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge with me @halokiwi! I'm hoping to try a few kids if I can find options. I'll post if I find anything beyond what comes directly from what's already in this post.