I Need Tips For Teaching Bracelet Making
bOOk_nerd1
Advanced
bOOk_nerd1
10ย months ago by bOOk_nerd1
Hi!! I recently signed up for being a bracelet forum instructor. I'm supposed to be teaching kids how to create candy stripe bracelets, which I've done before, but I'm just wondering if ya'll have any tips for teaching 8-10/yo bracelet making? Idk I was just trying to take a different lense. Thanks for all your advice in advance! ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
10ย months ago by halokiwi
I think the candy stripe is perfect to start with. For most it will be alright, but for some it might still be too hard. With those you could do a zipper bracelet or the Chinese staircase.
I recommend working with a small amount of strings. The less strings there are, the less chances there are of being confused.
I recommend using colours that are easy to tell apart and no gradient/colour changing strings.
It's good, if the strings have a clear order that is easy to memorise like a gradient or especially a rainbow.
fishyknots
Bracelet King
fishyknots
10ย months ago by fishyknots
I think another good pattern to start with would be the chevron since youโ€™re practicing two knots at once.
bamboozled
Bracelet King
bamboozled
10ย months ago by bamboozled
Also, if you are teaching a group of kids, Iโ€™d make all the bracelets have the same exact colour scheme. (Like have every single one go red, yellow, blue) so then you could say things like โ€œnow knot the blue over the yellowโ€
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
10ย months ago by halokiwi
@bamboozled I think you should be mostly fine with letting the kids choose different colours. They will work at very different paces and if you base your instruction only on colour, that means some would have to wait, so they're always at the same step as the others.

When I taught kids, I always let them choose their own colours. I'm not sure, how long the workshop/class is going, but they might only be able to make one bracelet and they might not like the colours you pick for them.