How many base strings should be on a standard D-ring keychain at MOST?
jazzyghost
Bracelet King
jazzyghost
1 year, 2 months ago by jazzyghost
I’m wanting to try out some knotting on D-ring keychains, but I’m not sure how many base strings I can get away wih using without it looking cluttered and/or unprofessional :’D
Odanak1811
Odanak1811
1 year, 2 months ago by Odanak1811
It depends on the size of the D-ring. If you've made a variety of bracelets already, you can compare different bracelets with your D-ring to see which one would be the best size for it, then if for example a 16 strings bracelet seems perfect for it you'll know you want a pattern that has as close as possible to 16 strings.

If you want to make a bigger pattern but don't want the beginning to be clumped, you can make a shaped start so the keychain starts the size of the D-ring and then gets bigger gradually until it's final size.
jazzyghost
Bracelet King
jazzyghost
1 year, 2 months ago by jazzyghost
Those are great ideas! Thanks a lot for your answer 😄 I appreciate it! Can't wait to get started!
marie_k
Professional
marie_k
1 year, 2 months ago by marie_k
I usually buy 1inch D-rings, i think it's not too big not too small. I usually do between 12-18 string patterns. (so it fits max 9 larks head knots, but i try to stay under 8). You can also check out this tutorial on how to shape your alphas to so that it gets bigger progressively 🙂 https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/130_shaped-keychain-tutorial/
elliebear3
Bracelet King
elliebear3
1 year, 2 months ago by elliebear3
I have at MOST done 25 base strings on a 1 inch D-ring keychain but the final outer shape was a little warped due to their being a lot of base strings. I suggest trying to keep it bellow 20.
rstring5
Bracelet King
rstring5
1 year, 2 months ago by rstring5
I use 3/4 inch D-rings and they seem to comfortably fit 16 base strings (8 larks head knots) but you can fit at most 20 base strings (10 larks head knots) or obviously anything in between i’m not sure about the other sizes but these are what are comfortable for 3/4 inch rings
jazzyghost
Bracelet King
jazzyghost
1 year, 1 month ago by jazzyghost
Thanks a lot everybody 😄 just got my first 3/4-inch D-ring keychains and excited to start!
katherined
Professional
katherined
1 year, 1 month ago by katherined
If you want to have more base strings, I would suggest making a shaped keychain. Masha knots has a great tutorial on it!!
SadieLou
Professional
SadieLou
1 year, 1 month ago by SadieLou
Mine fit like 25 or 26 strings typically