can i use a lighter to finish/polish up a bracelet?
aerozolis
Skiller
aerozolis
1 year, 2 months ago by aerozolis
greetings, I've recently started using a lighter to gently burn the ends of my bracelet ties and the bracelet itself. Doing that gets rid of the weird little ''hairs'' or ''fly-aways'' that embroidery floss has. Basically, it just makes the bracelet look cleaner and more professional. After that I use some clear nail polish on the knots that seal the ties up. Is using a lighter okay? Could that potentially hurt the bracelet? Im only using it for a split second, moving the lighter at all times.
marie_k
Professional
marie_k
1 year, 2 months ago by marie_k
I've never done it so maybe someone is better suited to help, but from what i've seen in crochet i think it depends on the material of the strings ? Also if you make bracelets i would just make sure there's no rough ages either with the burnt pieced or the nail polish so that it doesn't rob/hurt the skin
aerozolis
Skiller
aerozolis
1 year, 2 months ago by aerozolis
thank you!
ThaisRainb
Professional
ThaisRainb
1 year, 2 months ago by ThaisRainb
I used to do the same. He used cheap thread, and he could burn the threads and even melt them and they would stick.
Now when using DMC threads I can't do that anymore. So yes, it all depends on the quality of your threads.
sage-wolf
Bracelet King
sage-wolf
1 year, 2 months ago by sage-wolf
i do this all the time with no issue!
Jello12335
Professional
Jello12335
1 year, 2 months ago by Jello12335
It depends what thread you use some of the ones with more plastic on them will melt down like you want them to but the less plastic contained ones will just burn and catch on fire. You may try it but please be careful and have a way to put it out if there is a fire
Margaron
Margaron
1 year, 1 month ago by Margaron
If you’re running a lighter across it quickly to just get rid of the ‘fuzzies’ you should be fine. Emphasis on quick.