can't do alphas ๐Ÿ™
Madji
Professional
Madji
3ย years, 6ย months ago by Madji
hi everyone ^^
so I've been making bracelets for a few months now and normals are my to-go thing, I know all the knots and it's always fun for me to make them, but I really want to make an alpha. I watched all the tutorials on youtube and try choosing the simplest patterns to make (even tho I REALLY REALLY want to do something bts related lol) but my alphas are just off... here are some issues I encounter during knotting:
1. the bracelet starts ok but goes wider the more threads I add in (in sort of a shape like this / \)
2. while changing colors, sometimes threads get too tangled in the back and it feels like I'm losing too much behind my pattern
3. uneven knots?? even when I'm using threads from the same company, some of them look too big (a problem I don't have in normals)
4. my rows aren't straight, they tilt to the direction of knotting (the knots go too much to the right or too much to the left) and I don't know if it's supposed to do that or if it's something wrong with my technique. again, not something that happen to my normals...

and finally, if you have some beginner friendly & easy patterns to suggest I'd love that ๐Ÿ˜‡

Thank you very much!
(p.s English isn't my first language so sorry for any mistakes)
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3ย years, 6ย months ago by halokiwi
1) A reason why the bracelet might get wider is that you put the base strings too close to each other in the beginning. Another reason might be many colour switches or string that is slightly thicker than the other strings.

2) I recommend starting out with patterns with not many colours to get comfortable with switching colours. Try to develop some sort of sorting system for the leading strings you are currently not using. I for example fold unused leading strings to the right when making f knots and to the left when making b knots. When you no longer need a certain colour or don't need it for a while you can cut that colour to avoid tangles.

3) When making a knot make sure the first half of the knot is pulled tight before making the second half. Consistent knotting takes some practice and even though the knots in alphas are basically the same as in normals it might take some time to get used to them.

4) It is completely normal that the knots tilt in the direction you are knotting in.

May I ask if you use the regular colour switch or the flat alpha technique when making alphas?
Madji
Professional
Madji
3ย years, 6ย months ago by Madji
@halokiwi thanks for answering! I use the regular color switch ๐Ÿ˜Š