elongated alphas
ktharr
Professional
ktharr
3 years, 9 months ago by ktharr
Hello! I’ve been making alphas for a few months and my technique and “process” has DEFINITELY gotten better, but for some reason my alphas still look so skinny and l o n g. For example, if I try to make an alpha with 20x20 dimensions, it looks more like a rectangle than a square. I’ve been trying to use different ways to make everything straighter (ie. using a ruler to straighten out each row) and have been making my knots pretty consistently, yet they look elongated. Is it sorta natural for that to happen? If anyone else is going through the same thing or has an idea of how to fix this, much help is appreciated!! Thank you : ))
Gillierose
Bracelet King
Gillierose
3 years, 9 months ago by Gillierose
i think they look more elongated because when you knot, you use a double knot anyway so it’s thicker up and down than it is left to right? i could be really wrong but that’s just a thought
rub7
Professional
rub7
3 years, 9 months ago by rub7
i know im a smaller rank than you but i have some thoughts hehe. ive noticed that too, and i think its because the knots themselves aren't perfectly square. i think tighter knots are more swuare but i dont really know 🤷‍♀️
lilygoldi
Skiller
lilygoldi
3 years, 9 months ago by lilygoldi
Tighter knots are in fact more square but they will ruin your alpha. Alphas like very loose knots. You cannot really fix the fact that the knots are not square. It if you want neat and flat alphas, make very loose knots. I used to make my knots very tight and did not know why my alpha was bumpy even with the flat alpha technique. Loosening up was the issue and is usually the issue why alphas are not neat. Hope this helped good luck knotting. 🙂
ktharr
Professional
ktharr
@Gillierose you’re probably right lol hopefully if I work a little more on it they won’t be as long
ktharr
Professional
ktharr
@lilygoldi thank you for helping me understand this a little more! I’ll try making looser knots : )
ktharr
Professional
ktharr
@rub7 probably, thank you so much 😊
lilygoldi
Skiller
lilygoldi
3 years, 9 months ago by lilygoldi
@ktharr Glad I could help but I made a mistake at the end of my comment. Loosening up your knots is not the issue of not neat alphas. Tight knots is. Sorry typed that wrong the first time.
sockkat
Skiller
sockkat
3 years, 9 months ago by sockkat
If you're trying to make a square shape, you might have to adjust your pattern. The alpha I'm currently working on using craft cord will
sockkat
Skiller
sockkat
3 years, 9 months ago by sockkat
Grr.

As I was saying...

The bracelet has 8 knots per cm across (left to right) but I get 6 rows per cm (up/down).

If you wanted something perfectly square you might have to do a test block and then add or subtract rows or columns to get the shape you want.