how long should I make base strings in alphas?
laxalldayz
Bracelet King
laxalldayz
3 years, 10 months ago by laxalldayz
Please! I really am unsure.
madeleine_
madeleine_
3 years, 10 months ago by madeleine_
They should be as long as you want the bracelet to be, plus the combined length of the ties
laxalldayz
Bracelet King
laxalldayz
Thank u so much
knottahti
knottahti
3 years, 10 months ago by knottahti
also add a little extra to that if you are doing triangle ends etc. i usually do about 2 ft folded when i’m making a loop
CoolKnot
Bracelet King
CoolKnot
3 years, 10 months ago by CoolKnot
I started an alpha yesterday and I cut way too long of string that I could use the ends for a different alpha 😂 I think there’s a bit of a learning curve to it
love4pizza
Bracelet King
love4pizza
3 years, 10 months ago by love4pizza
@laxalldayz i would recommend making a bracelet with any leftover string you have (like #12398 or #36730) and measure your strings all to a specific length (30cm, 45cm, 20cm, whatever) and see how many rows you need to get the length you want.
Alphas, like with normal bracelets, have a lot of different factors in deciding the size of the base-string ( ties on both ends? crimp-ends? teardrop loop? keychain? tapestry? necklace? wrist size?) so just take some scrap string to help get an idea of how long of base string you need based on how you knot.

i used my Pacman bracelet (#17079) for the longest time as my unit of measure for my ideal base-string length for other alphas i made, but i definitely recommend making a scrap bracelet to help with your future projects
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ ˚✧₊⁎˳
laxalldayz
Bracelet King
laxalldayz
@love4pizza very helpful i didn’t think to use scrap string for some reason😂
love4pizza
Bracelet King
love4pizza
3 years, 10 months ago by love4pizza
@laxalldayz no problem! and lol yeah, reusing scraps can be really helpful for experimenting with different aspects of bracelet makings, really wish i did it sooner
laxalldayz
Bracelet King
laxalldayz
@love4pizza me too I use a whole color just for base strings for one bracelet
AwesomeGrl
Bracelet King
AwesomeGrl
3 years, 10 months ago by AwesomeGrl
I like to use this method: first, add some length for how long you want the actual pattern to be. Then, add some length for the length of the ties, and if you are doing a tie on either end double the tie length. If you are adding a loop you can add a couple more inches. Then if you feel like that's too little, you can add a little bit more. And that's it!! Also tip: you can get a huge spool of crochet thread off of Amazon (I got aunt Lidia's size ten white) and use it for base strings of alphas, and even for normal patterns because it's around the same size and there's a lot of it.

Hope this helps!😊
laxalldayz
Bracelet King
laxalldayz
@AwesomeGrl Thanks I will try it
avacodo7
Professional
avacodo7
3 years, 10 months ago by avacodo7
If I want the bracelet to fit around my wrist, I usually do my wrist x3. This usually takes care of the Length of the bracelet, triangle ends, and ties.