coding patterns
emordnilap
Professional
emordnilap
3 years, 11 months ago by emordnilap
I am by no means good at coding, I'm in Girl Scouts and to do even the most basic coding things I had to ask for help. So I adjusted a pre-existing pattern when I was making the bracelet, and now want to put it into bracelet book. It start off with a chevron and my a and b colors are only working with each other and not connecting with the rest of the bracelet, how do I fix this?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 11 months ago by halokiwi
Maybe you have written a 0 into your knot structure. 0 is a left out knot and it can lead to the bracelet being split into two parts that aren't connected.

I'm not exactly sure what your exact problem is but I'll give a quick overview over the normal pattern generator:

You can pick the colours you want to use by entering the colour codes

You determine the order of the strings using the letters a, b, c, d... Each colour you entered corresponds with a letter.

You write your knotting structure row by row, knot by knot. There are four different types of knots forward (f), backward (b), forward backward (fb) and backward forward (bf). All knots you write have to be divided by commas.

If your pattern has and even amount of strings the uneven rows have half that amount of knots and the even ones half minus one. In a pattern with an uneven amount of strings the amount of knots in every row is that amount minus 1 divided by two. In every normal pattern the amount of rows has to be even.

Another mistake I can imagine is that potentially you forgot commas and the generator turned some of your f or b knots into fb or bf knots.

The standard chevron pattern (for 8 strings) would be
f, f, b, b
f, f, b

If the top strings don't match the bottom string you have to repeat the knotting structure as many times as you need until top and bottom strings align.

I'm not sure if I answered your question but please ask if I didn't!
emordnilap
Professional
emordnilap
3 years, 11 months ago by emordnilap
Thank you! You answered my question and gave me some basics.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 11 months ago by halokiwi
You're welcome