Making Patterns
VickyWest
Advanced
VickyWest
4ย years ago by VickyWest
How do I make patterns myself? I know where to find the Create Patterns section, but I don't know how to use the letters to make a pattern. Can you explain?
heyoo
Bracelet King
heyoo
4ย years ago by heyoo
For a normal pattern, the โ€˜fโ€™ means a forward knot, the โ€˜bโ€™ means a backward knot, the โ€˜fbโ€™ means a forward-backward knot, and the โ€˜bfโ€™ means the backward-forward knot. I hope this helps, if you need more info just tag me here
sodapop
Bracelet King
sodapop
4ย years ago by sodapop
@VickyWest Are you trying to make a normal or alpha pattern?
For normals, I usually draw my patterns on graph paper or a blank friendship bracelet template first (you can google to find one online) and use colored pencils to label the strings. Then according to which color overlaps (the knot) it's either f (forward) b (backward) fb (forward-backward) or bf (backward-forward) according to the direction the string is traveling. When typing the patten, it's a lot easier for me to just use the arrow keys on the top right of the code box as I copy each horizontal row from my drawing. The generator will automatically type the letters and commas for you when you use the arrows. Keep going until just before the pattern starts repeating again and you end up with an even number of lines. Once generated, you may have to tweak it a lot to fix any errors. Keep in mind that the site already has a ton of existing patterns so it may be tricky to come up with something original. ๐Ÿ™‚

For alphas, I like to go directly to the 'Draw Alpha' tab at the very top of the page. Choose a color for the background and click somewhere on the canvas to add that color. You can choose 'Fill' to color the whole background quickly and fill sections instead of just clicking single pixels. You can use the (+) and (-) keys to change the size of your canvas. Then choose another color to add your design but remember to always choose 'Knot' for your drawing mode so you don't accidentally fill everything with one color! Also press the Save button often to preserve your work. Choose the 'Alpha' tab to go back and view the generated knot structure and change the colors if needed.
VickyWest
Advanced
VickyWest
4ย years ago by VickyWest
Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ‘
Alayna_M
Professional
Alayna_M
4ย years ago by Alayna_M
Where do I create the patterns? I am now a skiller and I donโ€™t know how to create a pattern on here
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
4ย years ago by halokiwi
@Alayna_M you hover over your username on the top right and click create pattern in the menu that folds down
Alayna_M
Professional
Alayna_M
4ย years ago by Alayna_M
Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
Bracelet King
4ย years ago by 95033094
@sodapop where do you find the blank friendship bracelet templates? Is there a specific web sight?
sodapop
Bracelet King
sodapop
4ย years ago by sodapop
@95033094 The one I use is really wide so you'll have to mark the edge of whatever size pattern you choose.
Sometimes I can fit 2-3 patterns per page, unless it's a big one. ๐Ÿ™‚
You can download it here:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/b4/08/67b408c935888b6b4165d7201f11054a.jpg
reyyyy
Skiller
reyyyy
4ย years ago by reyyyy
the user @JR also made a more interactive way of making patterns, i'll link their program here:

https://jrcurtis.github.io/braceletdesigner/

(: