Help Making a Wave Design Two-Sided
Reply
CubeNite
Advanced
CubeNite
2 weeks ago by CubeNite
I want to make #101803 (a wave pattern), but in a way so that the wave, including its shifting colours, is on both sides. I have zero experience in designing patterns, so I'm having trouble trying to do it myself.

I managed to make a single wave of the pattern but I can't figure out how to get the strings all back to the starting position:

f,f,f,f,f,f
f,f,f,f,f,f
f,f,f,f,f,f
f,f,b,f,f,f
f,f,b,b,f,f
fb,b,f,b,f,f
b,b,fb,f,b,fb
bf,bf,bf,bf,b,f
b,f,fb,f,b,b
f,f,b,b,f,bf
f,f,f,b,f,f
f,f,f,f,f,f

(Odd number of strings so that the top wave doesn't cut off earlier than the bottom)
CubeNite
Advanced
CubeNite
2 weeks ago by CubeNite
Just realized the design I listed has an issue with the blue side's wave (the A coloured hook shape on the end of the wave has one extra square)
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
2 weeks ago by halokiwi
Just to make sure I understand you properly, you want the pattern as it is but the white wave should also be colour shifting and both waves should reach right to the edge?
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
2 weeks ago by halokiwi
I made this #217968

Let me know what you think

I needed to make the shape of the wave a little different so it would work out with an even amount of strings. Making the amount of strings odd overall might make it more difficult for both sides to be the same as one side has more strings than the other. It might work but I haven't tried it out yet.
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
2 weeks ago by halokiwi
Here is your knotting structure tweaked for the strings to come back to their original position:

f,f,f,f,f,f
f,f,f,f,f,f
f,f,f,f,f,f
f,f,b,f,f,f
f,f,b,b,f,f
fb,b,f,b,f,f
b,b,fb,fb,bf,fb
bf,b,f,f,b,f
b,f,b,f,b,f
f,f,b,b,f,f
f,f,f,b,f,f
f,f,f,f,f,f

You need to repeat it twice for the strings to be in the original order again.

The string order is bbacacfdfdeee

Colour e produces a wider stripe since it's three strings instead of two like the other colours.
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
1 week, 6 days ago by halokiwi
I made #218004

I tweaked the knotting structure in the right wave to make the gradient look like in the left wave. I also added a straight edge only to the right to center the design.
CubeNite
Advanced
CubeNite
1 week, 5 days ago by CubeNite
These are amazing! Thank you so much for working these out.

I quite like the last one, it seems to compromise the least. How exactly does the straight edge technique affect a bracelet in general? I recall it isn't visible at all, but I guess as you said it will add thickness where its applied? Would using it also on the left side of #218004 (for a straight edge) cause the design to be off-center again?

Anything else to consider about straight edge technique when making a bracelet? It sounded really good when I first heard about it so I was thinking, 'why not incorporate it in all of my normal bracelets?' but I haven't tried it quite yet.

Thanks again!
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
1 week, 5 days ago by halokiwi
The straight edges technique is done by doing bf knots on the left edge and fb knots on the right edge. In normal patterns there usually needs to be an extra string added on each side to not affect the rest of the pattern. I used that added string on the right to center the design. If I did it on the left too, I would need to add a string there too which would make it off center again.

The only thing the straight edges technique affects is the appearance of the edge. It looks less bumpy and more smooth.

To make the edges look more similar, you could do all the knots on the left edge that are between two strings of the same colour as bf knots instead.

Alternatively you could also add a border on both sides to make the appearance the same again. You add one more additional string on each side and do fb knots on the left and bf knots on the right (the opposite of the straight edges technique).
halokiwi
Moderator
halokiwi
1 week, 5 days ago by halokiwi
Here is another pattern attempt I had made. It puts the additional string to make the amount of strings odd in the centre which unfortunately does not allow the gradient to shift anymore.


#217974
Reply