Making shaped alpha patterns?
cadoized
Professional
cadoized
2 weeks, 2 days ago by cadoized
Trying to make a shaped alpha pattern but after clicking 'save and test' it reverts my gaps back to a simple block pattern.
Essentially it's a version of #3689470 with a few changes to the mouth/eyes. I used the drawing tab at first then the main editing tab to shape it since there's no transparency option.
It uses 4 colours, however the main colour is being saved as '-' rather than an 'a'. I tried simply removing dashes to make the shape but it caused an error, so then I tried replacing the dashes where the 'a' colour would be and leaving the dashes where I wanted the shape to be made. After saving however, it reverted back to plain dashes and removed any lines I added.

Can someone tell me how shaped alphas are made?
cadoized
Professional
cadoized
*Pattern #137044
cadoized
Professional
cadoized
oh you can draw transparency with right click lmao whoops
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
2 weeks, 2 days ago by halokiwi
You can also replace any letter (-,b,c,... (- is always a)) with 0. Just removing the knots won't work, because then the generator does not know where they are and as soon as there are different amounts of knots in different rows in an alpha, it will cause an error, because in an alpha the amount of base strings/knots (including
left-out knots) always needs to be the same in each row.

But apart from that you seem to have figured it out. Right-click (or long click) in "draw alpha" does the trick. Don't forget to save.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
If you plan to post the pattern, you should ask @aurelius, if he's okay work that, depending on how many changes you've made.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
If you enter gaps into the knots on the first page of the generator (both normal and alpha), the generator does not recognise them. You could say that spaces are not a valid input for that box. Valid inputs for the knots box in the alpha generator are -, all the letters of the alphabet and 0. For the normal generator they are f, b, fb, bf and 0. In the normal generator you have to separate them with commas, in the alpha generator you don't.
cadoized
Professional
cadoized
@halokiwi Thank you for the replies and advice! I think mine is different enough from it's inspiration but I have messaged aurelius for his permission to post it publicaly, otherwise I'll leave it. 😊