reversing patterns (advanced)
glupinerd
Bracelet King
glupinerd
10 months ago by glupinerd
Does anyone have a method that they use to reverse normal patterns? Like a reversed version of #61181 would have the arrowhead in the pattern going in the other direction?
I managed to do it myself, but it involved chatgpt, making a braceletbook web scraper to get the knot structure, reversing it with python and then manually tweaking it in the generator in order to fix the border.
So I was wondering if anyone has a simpler method for reversing patterns, even if its just reading the original pattern in a very specific way.
(note: I know that submitting flipped versions of already existing patterns could potentially breach the TOU, I'm just doing it for personal use)
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
10 months ago by halokiwi
If you manage to flip the pattern correctly, you'll actually be able to submit it as a variation of the original pattern

Example: https://www.braceletbook.com/variations/normal/219320/

The easiest way to flip patterns for personal use is to take a screenshot and rotate it 180 degrees. Then you imagine that the tip of the arrow is the end of the arrow and the other way around.
glupinerd
Bracelet King
glupinerd
Ok, thank you!
How would I go about adding the flipped pattern as a variation though? I don't think the "Add a variation" button makes it possible.
Should I just submit the flipped pattern as usual and specify that it's a variation in the notes? Or is there some other way of doing it?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
You have to do it manually. You have to create the variation as a new pattern. The generator will recognise it as a variation automatically. If it doesn't recognise it, you made a mistake somewhere.

It is only possible to add something as a variation, if the generator recognises it as a variation.
glupinerd
Bracelet King
glupinerd
That's interesting. While pattern I made is a reverse image when viewed as a preview, it's not what the generator recognizes as a reverse pattern. Thanks for the example of the arrowhead variation though, I think that by comparing the knot structure of the regular and the reverse I might be able to write an algorithm that not only reverses a pattern correctly without human intervention, but does it in a way that the generator can recognize the new pattern as a variation.

Update: I've been messing around with my code and managed to make it flip #2 and #18 in a way that the generator approves of. It didn't work on more complex bracelets like #61181 or even #31209. The results were something that neither the generator or myself recognized as variations of the original.

Do you by any chance know any mirrored variations of more complex bracelets so that I could study the knot structure on those and try to figure out the process of flipping them in a way that the generator recognizes them as mirrored?
glupinerd
Bracelet King
glupinerd
Nevermind, I figured the logic out, actually by looking at the pattern flipped 180 degrees haha
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
I'm glad you figured it out 🙂

Just one quick thing: please don't share the pattern scraper online. A tool like this could be used to steal braceletbook patterns and republish them somewhere else. This would be against our guidelines. Please also do not use it yourself in such a way.
glupinerd
Bracelet King
glupinerd
Of course, no worries : )
My intentions were never malicious, I just wanted to play with patterns outside the confines of the variation menu. And once I got the idea it became more of a "I wanna see if I can do it" thing. But yeah don't worry, I haven't and don't plan on sharing the code online or even explaining how it works/ how to replicate it.
Duesenberg
Bracelet King
Duesenberg
9 months, 4 weeks ago by Duesenberg
Hi @glupinerd

For any normal pattern, you can just turn a pattern upside-down by starting knotting it from the bottom up (print it, then turn it 180°).

When you now want to read the upside-down pattern, all you have to imagine, is, that the pointy bit of each arrow is being attached to the lines of the arrow not at the top, but at the bottom, then, the structure is automatically going to be right.

Take care and happy knotting 😉 😘