Being able to copy existing pattern code
pattncraft
pattncraft
4 years, 5 months ago by pattncraft
Is there a way to open up the code for a pattern to make it easier to create new ones? Sometimes all I want to do is tweak a few things but I have to re-write lines and lines of knot code each time.
BeadGirl16
Bracelet King
BeadGirl16
4 years, 5 months ago by BeadGirl16
No. @Admin shut it down on the variations because people were changing the code and it was being submitted as a new pattern. At the time there were no moderators, so the website was getting cluttered since there was only one person reviewing all the content.
KrazyKnotz
Super Moderator
KrazyKnotz
4 years, 5 months ago by KrazyKnotz
@BeadGirl16 Yes. You are correct.

We do not allow copying code of pre-existing patterns, then tweaking them a little, and submitting them as a new pattern. We want patterns that are significantly different and original in their design. Otherwise the site would be cluttered with a ton of patterns that are basically the same with only a couple knot changes. And it would not be fair to the original designer to see other users basically copying their design.
pattncraft
pattncraft
Sometimes you get inspired by a certain pattern but you can’t just change the colors to get the look you want you have to change the knots and add or subtract rows or strings... it would be so much easier if you could access the knots code and just adjust it... not copy, but use the other pattern as a base. It’s not like you get anything for coming up with a pattern anyways, they’re all free to use and there’s no financial gain to be had from creating patterns. But if still concerned about that then what about at least being able to access the code for your own past patterns?
Admin
Administrator
Admin
4 years, 5 months ago by Admin
The legal part is a bit more complex than you described @pattncraft. But apart from that, it's exactly what we thought when launching the new website. It was possible to also change the knots when you created a pattern from another pattern (using the 'add a variation' button). But our system recognises variations automatically, and after a change to the knots, it did see it as a new one, and a lot of users were adding new patterns by changing just one knot. We really didn't expect that in the scale it was happening. It's really hard to catch that kind of duplicates by us, and we ended up having a LOT of duplicate patterns on the site, so we had to change it to how it's now. If fact, we're still getting rid of duplicates that have been added at that time 🙁. So I totally see your point, and will be thinking about this in the future, but it's a bigger problem than I would like it to be 🙁.
pattncraft
pattncraft
Thanks for the detailed response. That’s such an odd thing to do I’m sorry people were abusing the system.
Haruka_St
Professional
Haruka_St
4 years, 3 months ago by Haruka_St
I for myself have some textfiles on my computer in wich I have saved some basic pattern "bases" for example the two rows that you need for a chevron. That is a part that is present in many patterns and so i dont have to type it out every time I try something.

Maby somthing like that can help you.
Haruka_St
Professional
Haruka_St
If you really want to you could also save alle of the patterns you make as a textfile befor you submit the pattern
Haruka_St
Professional
Haruka_St
@pattncraft