making normal patterns is so difficult...
pasteltrin
Professional
pasteltrin
1 year, 4 months ago by pasteltrin
does anyone have general tips on making normal patterns? it takes me hours, and i still end up not liking it
pasteltrin
Professional
pasteltrin
by making i mean designing
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year, 4 months ago by halokiwi
I think using graph paper to draw your pattern first can be very useful 🙂
Personally I mainly do that with more complex designs, but especially in the beginning when I started designing patterns, it was very useful.

I think the colours you use can also make a huge difference. I have some go to colour schemes that I use a lot.

I think your normal patterns all look very nice btw 👍
pasteltrin
Professional
pasteltrin
@halokiwi thank you. my biggest struggle is getting the strings back in the right spot at the end, so it repeats
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year, 4 months ago by halokiwi
I think my pattern #88502 might be a good example how you can sometimes solve it
I originally planned the pattern without the purple chevron. When I realised I needed to cross the purple and green strings at some point, I decided on a chevron shape instead of just a few green or purple knots where the two colours crossed. This way I managed to still make it look clean.

Sometimes if you need two colours to switch places and it would look weird, if you just did, repeating the pattern with reversed colours can look nice. I did that in pattern #138802.

Then there is the type of pattern that circles through multiple colours that you just have to repeat until the strings match again #140060