Pattern from photo?
BeachyEm
Bracelet King
BeachyEm
1 year, 4 months ago by BeachyEm
Please help! I keep trying to add patterns from photos, but anytime I do, It looks like a random blob! I realized I was only using 2 colors, so I set it to 12, and Instead of the picture appearing, It was just the same thing with 11 different shades of white! How do you get it to actually look like the photo? I've seen some awesome patterns from photos, and I don't get why it keeps coming out as a random blob. Please help me!!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year, 4 months ago by halokiwi
When using "alpha from image" you always need to tweak the image afterwards.

Here are some tutorials:
https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/120_making-better-outlines-for-alpha-patterns/
https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/74_how-to-tweak-patterns/

I recommend to also play around with the "preserve hard edges" box. It can have a very different effect whether you have it checked or unchecked.

I usually start with the biggest amount of colours and then merge colours.
just_for_u
Professional
just_for_u
1 year ago by just_for_u
@BeachyEm, I know I'm late 😂 but I just responded to the same question in a different thread. Here's what I do:
•I set the dimensions to have at least one side 200 and the other somewhere between 100-200.
• I set the colors to three times the amount of colors I think it needs. (There are a lot of shadows or blurry pixels that get perceived as different colors) So I get a great, clear, vibrant picture.
• Then, I crop the sides by removing rows until I'm at my ideal (or decent) size.
•Then, I head to the 'Alpha' tab and change all the extra colors that are just a shade off from the rest, to a random bright color that is totally not in my design, like purple or red.
• It is then super easy to go over those spots with my one shade that I'm using, eliminating all the extra colors.
Hope this helps and good luck!!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year ago by halokiwi
@just_for_u the only thing I'd like to add to your advice is to not always put one of the sides to 200 and the other to 100-200, because that always creates very big patterns. For a wallhanging that would be fine, but for a bracelet that would be way to big.
just_for_u
Professional
just_for_u
1 year ago by just_for_u
@halokiwi, very true! I set it to big so that the design comes out super big and then I trim it almost to half the original size. But yeah, one of my biggest challenges is getting it from that 50x100 to bracelet size. Those last few rows always cut it too close!!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year ago by halokiwi
@just_for_u maybe you can cut/edit the photo beforehand so it only shows what you want to be in the bracelet and then you make the pattern bracelet dimensions from the start.