image to alpha generator
EverBloom
Skiller
EverBloom
10 years, 8 months ago by EverBloom
I have designed a pattern in an outside program and saved it as a jpeg but when I put it into the generator it only comes out clear with tons of strings (50+). What size does the image need to be so that it will be clear and not have so many strings.
ponygal
Bracelet King
ponygal
10 years, 8 months ago by ponygal
Make sure the colors r dark or they won't show up
EverBloom
Skiller
EverBloom
The problem is that the picture doesn't look right not really the colors. Thank you though.
Adik
Bracelet King
Adik
10 years, 8 months ago by Adik
@EverBloom Try using either a smaller or a larger number of Max. strings that sometimes helps 🙂 But it usually happens when the .gif or .jpg files are somehow damaged.
Let me know whether it helped 🙂 Because it might be a bug on our side. 🙂
Adik
Bracelet King
Adik
Or does it show all the colors? It might be that the jpeg was too many pixels wide, its best to use small images, Like 50x50 pixels if you want smaller alphas.
EverBloom
Skiller
EverBloom
It shows all the colors. Just when I use less than 200 it doesn't look like the image.
Adik
Bracelet King
Adik
Thats because the image you're using is too big with too much details in. Images i use are usually tiny 🙂
EverBloom
Skiller
EverBloom
Oh okay thanks. I'll try using a smaller image. Thanks for your help.
Ealtz27
Advanced
Ealtz27
10 years, 3 months ago by Ealtz27
How to you use the generator
Admin
Administrator
Admin
9 years, 11 months ago by Admin
The generator is not made for that purpose, it's here to help you transform images into patterns, but everytime there's a lot of work to do after using it.
Jett
Skiller
Jett
9 years, 10 months ago by Jett
if its already in pixel-art-form, count the dimensions of the pattern then when you upload it, put those dimensions in the width and height things. i find that it usually requires making the larger dimension one more than it is supposed to be. i have a motherload of pixel art ive made that are perfect for friendship bracelets and this is how ive been doing it.
hyeheyeyey
Advanced
hyeheyeyey
2 years, 7 months ago by hyeheyeyey
🎉
hakssdyy
Beginner
hakssdyy
1 year, 3 months ago by hakssdyy
A 😘
Lynhongito
Beginner
Lynhongito
1 year ago by Lynhongito
Sjxhlshcnxbd
just_for_u
Professional
just_for_u
1 year ago by just_for_u
Hi, so I know I'm late in this thread 🙂 but here's what I do:
•I set the dimensions to have at least one side 200 and the other somewhere between 100-200.
• I set the colors to three times the amount of colors I think it needs. (There are a lot of shadows or blurry pixels that get perceived as different colors) So I get a great, clear, vibrant picture.
• Then, I crop the sides by removing rows until I'm at my ideal (or decent) size.
•Then, I head to the 'Alpha' tab and change all the extra colors that are just a shade off from the rest, to a random bright color that is totally not in my design, like purple or red.
• It is then super easy to go over those spots with my one shade that I'm using, eliminating all the extra colors.
Hope this is helpful!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year ago by halokiwi
@just_for_u this is really good advice 🙂

I think the only thing I would do different is to not use 200 as one of your standard length, because it will always create very large patterns.
If you want to create patterns for wallhangings, that is totally fine, but if you want to make a bracelet pattern, consider making it not longer than somewhere around 80 rows and not wider than 30 base strings.
In other words: which size you pick should depend on what you want the pattern to be used for.

Here are also two tutorials on using alpha from image:
https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/120_making-better-outlines-for-alpha-patterns/
https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/74_how-to-tweak-patterns/
ceres01
Beginner
ceres01
11 months, 1 week ago by ceres01
😛
Nellie_230
Beginner
Nellie_230
6 months, 1 week ago by Nellie_230
I've been trying to turn an image into an alpha pattern but I've been finding it difficult
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
6 months, 1 week ago by halokiwi
@Nellie_230 it's completely normal that it is difficult when you just started designing your own patterns 🙂
Is there something specific that you struggle with?

I can recommend these tutorials
https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/120_making-better-outlines-for-alpha-patterns/
https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/74_how-to-tweak-patterns/
dauber
Skiller
dauber
6 months, 1 week ago by dauber
How does alpha to image work. I tried and don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing.