Copying patterns from a different site
hilsa
Professional
hilsa
1 year, 9 months ago by hilsa
I'm not entirely sure which section this would best fit under, so I hope it's alright putting it here!

What are the rules surrounding copying patterns from a different site if the patterns are free to use? Obviously it's a huge breach of copyright to take a pattern from Etsy for example and put it here, but would it be possible to add a pattern based off a DMC cross stitch pattern that's on the DMC site for free? I'm not sure how you'd go about contacting the copyright holder for those patterns to ask for permission. Its a bit of a grey area and I imagine it's probably best to be safe & not copy it across, but I was wondering if there was a precedent for this. Looking at the review guidelines, I guess the answer is probably no, but I wanted to ask all the same.
hilsa
Professional
hilsa
Also as an aside to this, what are the rules for copying patterns that are so old they are no longer protected under copyright? Could traditional cross stitch patterns be added here without too much of an issue?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year, 9 months ago by halokiwi
You are only allowed to post patterns that are your own or that you have permission from the original creator to share.
I don't think it would be allowed to share dmc patterns on braceletbook even if they are free because dmc owns the copyright to all content on their website according to their terms and conditions

If the pattern is free anyways, what would be the need of sharing it on here, if you can access it somewhere else anyways?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
1 year, 9 months ago by halokiwi
And yes, if a pattern has no copyright anymore because it is really old, that should be no issue.
hilsa
Professional
hilsa
@halokiwi thanks so much for the info!!