Alpha vs Normal - And why does my Chinese ladder not turn around?
nickyol
Advanced
nickyol
3 years, 3 months ago by nickyol
Question 1. How much harder would you say it is to make an Alpha bracelet than a normal one?

Question 2. When I try and make a Chinese ladder bracelet my “ladder” won’t go around the strings, but rather stay in one place for some knots then turn some and then stay again making the result nothing but ugly. What am I doing wrong?

Question 3. Saw someone making bracelets on IG that looked like they had just twist the threads round and round each other - they called it “bulk string bracelets” but I can’t find anything online on how to make those, anyone has any ideas? They look kinda like the twisted ropes you use with horses.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 3 months ago by halokiwi
Answer 1.
I would not say one is harder. They are just different techniques. You can learn either as your first technique which indicates that there can't be a big difference in difficulty.
I think normal patterns might be a little more difficult to read especially if you want to segment knot. But if you knot row-by-row reading the pattern shouldn't be too difficult.

Answer 2.
Make sure you are only doing one type of knot (either f or b knots).
If you finished a bracelet and you are not entirely happy try to twist the knots around a little. Ladder bracelets can still be easily adjusted after you made them.
Try turning the bracelet continuously while knotting.

Answer 3.
This might be what you are looking for https://www.braceletbook.com/tutorials/73_two-minute-twisted-bracelet/
You can also search for twisted ties.

I wasn't entirely sure if you were looking for this so here is a link to a video with a different bracelet that might be the one you are describing
https://youtu.be/XD1WXJ7r4hs
nickyol
Advanced
nickyol
@helokiwi Thank you so much!

I’m currently only doing normal bracelets but I like the way it’s more of a weave feeling to alphas and a smoothness in the patterns as well as that you can do more detailed patterns. Maybe I should give it a go.

I will try that! I think I’m giving up to easisly, but they really turns out crap. 🤯

Thanks I’ll have a look at the videos and see!! ❤️
nickyol
Advanced
nickyol
Sorry, wrong tag @halokiwi
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
You're welcome 😄 I'm sure you'll figure it all out!
nickyol
Advanced
nickyol
@halokiwi had another go at the Chinese ladder but no luck. It still look wonky. I read it suppose to be the easiest form to make and I just can’t work it out.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
Maybe you could try doing one with just one colour first 🤔 If you have a gradient string you could use that
nickyol
Advanced
nickyol
@halokiwi - I think I’ll just leave the pattern making to those who are good at it for now and settle for the patterns I got tipped on. 🙈
nickyol
Advanced
nickyol
@halokiwi - sorry, replied to the wrong thread 🙈. I’m only doing it with one to start with, it still won’t spin around, if you know what I mean? It just stays straight and on several places it overlaps even though I only make b knots?

What happens if one alternate the knots, like when I make a loop. I prefer the loops when I go - b knot - f knot - b knot - f knot. What happens if you do that on a Chinese ladder?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
If you alternate knots they would form a straight line similar to when you do a loop. You would not get the spiral effect.

The knots should be easy to push around on the ladder bracelet. Could you try pushing them to the left so they form the spiral they should? Your issue might be that you didn't rotate the bracelet while knotting.
Deer-Teeth
Bracelet King
Deer-Teeth
3 years, 3 months ago by Deer-Teeth
You said they looked like they were overlapping, right?

that could be because you accidentally tied the knot onto the upper parts, or the part you're knotting on (that might sound stupid but that's something that happens a lot to me when I do those) so make sure your string is tight and you make them lay the right way (pull them all the same way) if you pull the string at different angles when you knot it not all gonna lay the same and can make your bracelet wonky

Another fix is that you're not rotating it enough? I would recommend rotating the bracelet every three knots you do to get a tighter spiral. Always make sure you're doing the same knot the entire time. maybe try doing f knots this time, it might get the spiral to go better than before