normal pattern question (making my first one)
Sun_String
Bracelet King
Sun_String
3 years, 3 months ago by Sun_String
hi! I read the normal pattern making tutorial, but I'm confused about how to start it..
basically, I have the design all sketched out and the colors, as well as the knots, but how do you know the order the colors should be at the top?
when I sketched my design out like the tutorial showed, there's obviously only one color in the first knot bubble and I'm not sure what the other color is...

hopefully my question makes sense and i would really like some help to figure this out!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
3 years, 3 months ago by halokiwi
I assume you've drawn circles (knots) with lines (strings) between them. If you have only drawn your pattern into squares like at the beginning of the tutorial I recommend doing this to figure out the string colours.
Sun_String
Bracelet King
Sun_String
@halokiwi ok thanks so much! yea i just had it as the square grid first but i got it figured out once i made the lines and bubbles 😄

i tried to submit it but it said the knot structure for one of my rows wasn’t correct or something.. how do i fix this?
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
Depending on how many strings you have in the pattern you need a different amount of strings per row

If you have an even amount of strings in the uneven rows you need half that amount of knots and in the even ones half minus one. So if you had 8 strings you would need 4 knots in uneven rows and 3 knots in even rows.

If you have an uneven amount of strings you need that amount minus one divided by two knots in each row. So for a pattern with 7 strings you had 3 knots in each row.

The generator tells you the first row where you have a mistake but there might be more in later rows.
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
Oh, and the amount of rows always needs to be even
Sun_String
Bracelet King
Sun_String
@halokiwi ok i’ll look at that! i had an idea to make one similar to #56130 but right now it’s 20 strings and the distortion in the middle is smaller, and i added extra stripes on the sides. hopefully i can get it sorted out cause the row i’m having problems with the row where the chevron/distortion switches directions 🤷🏼‍♀️
thanks for the help!!
halokiwi
Super Moderator
halokiwi
I'm sure you'll figure it out 😄 if you have any further questions always feel free to ask