experiment in scarf making
Jett
Skiller
Jett
10ย years ago by Jett
so i was wondering, if i used yarn and didnt tie my knots the tightest, could i use a large enough alpha pattern that i could make some sort of scarf-like garment? i have no idea if his would work or not but i have found a few patterns that might be interesting and i like making weird experimental clothing.

(similarly, could i make panels and 'sew' them together to make a sweater type thing?)
toribug11
Bracelet King
toribug11
10ย years ago by toribug11
its definitely an interesting idea, and one i havent seen discussed before. i think the only real issue with making a 'scarf' would be the size of the strings and pattern.
SBilbrey
Bracelet King
SBilbrey
10ย years ago by SBilbrey
I used yarn for an alpha pattern once, and the finished piece had the kind of stiffness of a pot holder. I don't know that it will work for a scarf; unless you're using the baby-soft yarn. If you tie your knots too loose, you run the risk of it falling apart, or just not looking like the pattern you're tying. I think it MIGHT work with a wider normal pattern. Normal patterns don't seem to be as stiff as alpha patterns when you're done with them. Plus, I think normal pattern designs are a little more suited to scarves in general. As for the sweater, I don't know that you'd be able to sew different panels together. But you could start with a plain sweater/sweatshirt, tie your alpha pattern, and sew it to the shirt like a patch. That way, you've got a shape to build onto, instead of trying to quilt a sweater together. I hope that makes sense!
lyra2245
Bracelet King
lyra2245
10ย years ago by lyra2245
I've seen friendship bracelet belts in Mexico but the string was really stiff so if you use a softer yarn I could probably work
Margaron
Margaron
10ย years ago by Margaron
I made a scarf for someone using wool and a bracelet technique I used really long strands with multiple strings for each string... If that makes sense... Lol it worked fine, it just gets tangled REALLY easy