Starting Alphas
falling
Professional
falling
10 years, 4 months ago by falling
I have a problem where I start an alpha that has lots of strings (28) and a braid wont work. I do two braids, but then the knots dont stay in place and they slide, taking the main string with it. After 3 rows, te strings in my braid have gotten totally messed up, amd they have all shrunk. The top of the braclete is also very messed up. Has anyone else had this problem? Ehat do you do!!???
SBilbrey
Bracelet King
SBilbrey
10 years, 4 months ago by SBilbrey
Have you tried starting your bracelets with a few reinforced loops instead of braids? Look at pattern #6908. Both photos have the bracelet starting with two reinforced loops. I find that using that loop holds all my strings in place, and I know there's a tutorial on how to start it. Search for "Bracelet Buckle" in the tutorials and you'll learn a few methods. I hope that helps!
kbhend9715
Bracelet King
kbhend9715
10 years, 4 months ago by kbhend9715
Have you tried sticking and clipping (to secure them so the don't move about) all the strings down first and start, then when you have finished braid both ends? when it's a large pattern i find a wide piece of cardboard and tie all the stings onto it using a cow hitch.... this gives you a straight start.... 😉
falling
Professional
falling
@kbhend9715 I did try that, but I cant get the knots to be even.
wolf3
Bracelet King
wolf3
10 years, 4 months ago by wolf3
when i start a bracelet with a braid the strings in the braids get all scrunched up.
lyra2245
Bracelet King
lyra2245
10 years, 4 months ago by lyra2245
yeah i tie a knot and when i finish the bracelet i untie it and braid the strings
Adik
Bracelet King
Adik
10 years, 4 months ago by Adik
wolf3 you need to tie the braids when you are finished with the bracelet, what i do is stick my strings to my knee with masking tape that way ive got them all in one row at the top 😉
falling
Professional
falling
Ok, how much do you add to fit a braid?
Adik
Bracelet King
Adik
i dont add any strings if thats what you are asking, depending on the width of the bracelet i make from 1 to 4 braids at each end 🙂
falling
Professional
falling
No, I mean like how much of the string take up braiding, so I don't have to run out of strings at the end.
Adik
Bracelet King
Adik
Just a bit longer then you want the braid to be